Question on lead sleds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

John S

Bearcat
I'm thinking about getting a lead sled. Do you like them? Are they worth the money. Thanks

wwb

Hunter
Your money, your choice.... but I fail to understand the purpose of them. The rifle will recoil differently on one of those than it will when it's against your shoulder - you have less resistance (more "give" if you will). The end result is a different point of impact; the greater the difference between you and the lead sled, the greater the change in POI.

Also, I've heard rumors that they often result in a cracked stock on rifles with really stout recoil.

contender

Ruger Guru
I got a Lead Sled when they came out as a gift. It helped a lot in heavy recoiling rifle in getting them very close to zero. Of course, I always fired a few off the Sled to verify accuracy.
Then I got the DFT one, due to low bidding at a NRA event. Miss Penny allowed me to sell the one she gave me & I kept the DFT. I still use it & it is a good rest IF you use it properly.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Lead sleds seem to be well thought of but why did you post this question in the Rimfire forum? The Rifle, etc. forum would get more views.

John S

Bearcat
I shot A LOT OF REDUCED LOADS AND 22'S. IT SEAMS LIKE THE ONE PEACE UNIT WOULD WORK BEST TO HELP YOU TO HAVE BETTER ACCURACY.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"Your money, your choice.... but I fail to understand the purpose of them. The rifle will recoil differently on one of those than it will when it's against your shoulder - you have less resistance (more "give" if you will). The end result is a different point of impact; the greater the difference between you and the lead sled, the greater the change in POI."
The device is not meant to be the final zero for a rifle. It's meant to save beating up the shooter doing preliminary scope adjustments and load workup. The stock damage is likely a result of adding too much weight. The device is not supposed to stop ALL recoil but to reduce the recoil and help control the movement of the rifle during recoil.

contender

Ruger Guru
Mobuck has it right. When I use mine,,, I do not add too much weight. Yet,,, when I have a guy who wants a 375, or an bigger caliber set up for hunting, I use the sled. I usually have to either mount a scope or re-mount it correctly. Then I have to zero it & shoot it in. I also get down & behind my sled, sorta "into it". I don't try & fix it rigidly to where it doesn't move at all. I let it rest against my shoulder, and let it rise up on the forend. By using it more like a normal rest, yet, allowing the weight to help reduce the felt recoil to my shoulder,,, I can shoot a lot more w/o the abuse to my shoulder.
I've never had a stock break or anything.
I also make the owner shoot his gun, on a normal rest, to final zero it.

It's a tool, and when used properly,,, works quite well.