Proper Inch-Pound Torque Values for Old Style 10/22 Screws

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Isher2000

Bearcat
In particular the main stock screw, the two V block hex head screws and the carbine barrel band screw.

Thanks

Rick

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I have always used following for builds,

Stock set screw's "sweet spot" is usually between 22 to 28 IFP, I start at 24 and work from there.

Per most barrel makers (Kidd etc.) recommend 10 IFP on these two bolts.

Band screw I would not think would have any effect, just snug up, I don't have any 10/22's with barrel bands.
JM0.02
Terry

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Isher2000 said:
In particular the main stock screw, the two V block hex head screws and the carbine barrel band screw.

Thanks

Rick

The barrel block screws only require 10 to 12 inch-pounds ( IP ) of torque. Keep in mind those are steel screws going into a tapped hole in aluminum, so the recommendation is snug, but not overly tight. I'd recommend that the threads be cleaned with acetone or carburetor cleaner and then a "serviceable" thread-locker, like Loctite #242 be used. I always swap out the action screw from the slotted screw to the hex-socket screw if any torque is going to be applied to that screw. Slotted screws are not easy to torque, so, hex socket or torx screws work much better.
Another thing to consider is whether or not you have epoxy bedded the action into the stock, or if you're using a "pillar" around the action screw. Cranking that action screw down tight, with only the stock wood underneath the barrel action, will collapse the open capillaries in a wooden stock where the sap flowed to nourish the tree, so bedding and a stock screw pillar are always a good idea to maintain your bedding.