Production numbers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

"Red Eagle News Exchange" is your friend, has more info than most of the other books and stuff written over the years, and the serial numbering ma1kes one have to do the math,,,as for totals, most factories consider that "proprietary info" and do not release that....as side from the fact that some distributors /dealers' with limited runs involved these numbers change.....I recall many years ago the number of 1500 was considered to be the minimum run to make it "profitable".....ah, more Ruger "lore".....:unsure:

....and as Uncle 'Splitz' always says....."read the books"...do your home work and if you go to any of the Ruger theme shows ( display) shows, much of this info can be found if one reads the "text" along with the various displays......:cool::rolleyes:;)

hittman

Staff member
Don't know the actual numbers, sorry.

A man I respect taught me to look for the 45s first. Short barrels the least common of those. Convertibles ratchets things up another notch. Great property to have for sure.

29aholic

Single-Sixer
"Red Eagle News Exchange" is your friend, has more info than most of the other books and stuff written over the years, and the serial numbering ma1kes one have to do the math,,,as for totals, most factories consider that "proprietary info" and do not release that....as side from the fact that some distributors /dealers' with limited runs involved these numbers change.....I recall many years ago the number of 1500 was considered to be the minimum run to make it "profitable".....ah, more Ruger "lore".....:unsure:

....and as Uncle 'Splitz' always says....."read the books"...do your home work and if you go to any of the Ruger theme shows ( display) shows, much of this info can be found if one reads the "text" along with the various displays......:cool::rolleyes:;)
Wow a fountain of disinformation

hittman

Staff member
As rugerguy said …. This is a valuable tool and super inexpensive. The owner is our very own Chet!5.

I don't know any official numbers and my RENE isn't handy at the moment. I do remember though that the 45 convertibles were only made 3 years and in 2 barrel lengths with the 4 5/8" being the least common.

I guess it's possible you could look at the Ruger web site and maybe figure by the beginning and ending serial numbers an approximate total made.

gunzo

Hunter
44 FT s/n's go from 1 - 29860

OM 45's go from 1 - 23681

I have no other numbers as far as barrel lengths or convertables

Johnnu2

Hunter
THERE WE GO............ THANKS GUNZO
Fast, concise, easy to read without searching.... and approximate (which may be good enough for most of us)....
J. ;)

contender

Ruger Guru
"Wow a fountain of disinformation'

That's an insult to a fine poster who has offered excellent information.

What you've failed to understand is that most of the factory production numbers haven't been released by the factory. And that there are variables in each & every category of firearm. This information has been painstakingly gathered & published over MANY years by MANY collectors,, including rugerguy to where we have a pretty good idea of much of this type of information for all of us.
The "hard" numbers or the "approximate" numbers are found in the RENE Reference Guide. And as mentioned above,, you can contact our own member, "chet15" who's name is Chad Hiddleson, who publishes the RENE to get a copy of the Guide.

Gunzo provided the short answer,, and maybe that's all you wanted. But to post an insult,, instead of clarifying your request wasn't nice.
rugerguy is a wealth of information, with a long history of Rugers, collecting, & history. He provided you with a route to learn a lot about Rugers.

As hittman noted; "The devil is in the details on numbers."
Example; There are several variations of the .44 Ft, and there are 6 main variations of the OM .45's. The variations are what makes some of them MUCH more valuable than other variations. A 10" .44 Ft is much more valuable ($2150.00) than the 6-1/2" .44 FT, ($905.00.) The brass framed .45's are more valuable than the blued ones. Approximate production numbers for each are listed in the RENE Guide.

THAT'S why you were given the answer that rugerguy gave you.

Many of us here try hard to help answer questions, with facts & details to help those who ask. It's impolite to insult someone who offers good information.

29aholic

Single-Sixer
My apologies. It has always been my position to try to answer questions with information that I possess and then give reference to other sources. Share the wealth.
For many, posting a question on the various forums is our way of researching. We know there are books etc but you can buy volumes and not gather the information you just gave me.
Some of you may recognize my screen name from the Smith and Wesson forum. I always try to help when I can

not to worry, none taken........excellent reply 'contender'.......(y)

...besides most "collectors" at the least, should have a copy of the Blue Book and I do know in last years 2022 edition for the Ruger Blackhawks on Pages 2069 and 2070 they included "production numbers"............... :unsure: ;)(y)

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I used the RENE Price Guide for the info I posted about the values of the 10" FT .44. It just came out in the latest RENE newsletter, so it's the "current average price one collector will pay another collector for a gun." (2023.)
To find many really nice collectable Rugers,, just go to a ROCS Display show at one of the gun shows,, join ROCS,, and meet & greet the other members. You may be surprised at what you may find with them. Often,, we buy stuff to "upgrade" our collection, and allow a "lesser" grade gun be sold. That's how I got mine from a good friend & also like me, a Founding Member of ROCS.

well said 'contender', it has a lot to do with timing, and the place/need/want .....
I wish I could get at any given time the prices that may be quoted /cited, in such as the Blue Book or the RENE...other times . two drunks wanting the same item will drive up an auction bid to the sky.........:cool::rolleyes:;)

KWend54

Single-Sixer
well said 'contender', it has a lot to do with timing, and the place/need/want .....
I wish I could get at any given time the prices that may be quoted /cited, in such as the Blue Book or the RENE...other times . two drunks wanting the same item will drive up an auction bid to the sky.........:cool::rolleyes:;)
As long as you're happy when you sober up, then it's all good

29aholic

Single-Sixer
Fjestad and I almost came to blows years ago at Tulsa. His current book at the time way undervalued martial marked Colt SAAs. I was young and put a lot of faith in the book. Probably cost me about 3 grand on one I sold.

The Blue Book is a wealth of information but not for values. With all the work that goes into it, prices have changed by the time it comes out for sale.

Latest posts