Problem with an Old Model Bearcat.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bruce H.

Bearcat
I have a friend who has an old model Bearcat, S/N 15xxx. This gun has been converted by Ruger to the transfer bar safety system. My friend does still have the original parts that Ruger returned after the conversion.
Recently the bolt (cylinder latch) will not lower when the hammer is half-cocked. What could cause this? What mechanical action causes the bolt to lower when the hammer is half-cocked? I have a copy of the Kuhnhausen book, but there doesn't seem to be much in that book on the Bearcat. Would my friend be better of if she just put the old parts back into the Bearcat and did away with the conversion? I have read that the old model trigger systems are much better and more accurate.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd first try the OM parts back in the gun to see if the problems go away. And yes,, in general,, the OM action does feel MUCH better.

flatgate

Hawkeye
109357148.jpg

The conversion kit cylinder latch has a piece of "spring steel" attached by a rivet. The "spring steel" engages a small, protruding dimple that's on the side of the conversion kit hammer. This engagement makes the cylinder latch drop down to permit cylinder rotation. As the hammer moves toward the fully cocked position the mechanism then allows the cylinder latch to snap back into the locked position.

A small spring and plunger assembly rides in a bore within the Bearcat's trigger guard. If the spring and plunger is not installed correctly or is missing??? the cylinder latch WILL NOT engage the "bolt cuts" in the cylinder.

The OP's trouble must lie with the spring steel portion of the cylinder latch and/or the portion of the hammer that engages the latch.

This system is as old as dirt, i.e. it's copied directly from the Colt Single Action Army! :D

ruger_bearcat_exploded.gif

Small image but it may provide some assistance.

flatgate

Latest posts