Problem reloading 45 LCs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kantor99

Bearcat
I've run into a problem reloading my 45 LCs for my Ruger Vaquero. The problem is that when I put them into the gun, the cylinder spins free but after shooting one, the cylinder is really hard to turn or won't turn. I tried ensuring the new primers were seated flush or below flush but that didn't seem to help. There's plenty of room between the bullet and the end of the cylinder. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jim Puke

Hunter
The rim is hitting the recoil shield.

It is possible that you have a slight bulge at the casehead that is preventing the bullets from fully seating in the cylinder. Upon firing, they are backing out ever-so-slightly and contacting the shield. I experienced this and had to adjust my sizing die to make sure that it got the bulge completely out of the case.

Also, if your brass has slightly boogered or burred rims, at times it will rub the shield and prevent the cylinder from turning.

Of my handgun brass, the 45colt brass is the only one that I ever have problems with. It just does not seem to hold up very well for me as compared to 44spec and 44mag.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
It might be that your load is too light and that the case does not come back hard enough to re-seat the primer flush. It happens with powder-puff loads. If after firing one round the cylinder is hard to turn, pull that empty case, look at the primer, and then see if the cylinder spins freely. :D

GP100man

Buckeye
I`m in the camp with Jimbo, Lite loads will push the primer out to O headspace but not enuff to push the case back to the recoil shield reseating the primer flush with the case, thus binding the cyl.

Take a round & color the primer with a black magic marker, fire it the by hand turn the cyl, bet Coke it`ll be scratched up!

kantor99

Bearcat
I'm loading Trail Boss with mid range weights. Any suggestions for a better load?

cadillo

Blackhawk
Have someone gauge your throats.

I had the same problem with my Stainless Bisley until I reamed the throats to 0.4525". Before I got the reamer, I trimmed a few cases back short of SAAMI specs, and the problem was cured as far as the use of those cases.

Your bullets are probably sized 0.452" and they just don't want to seat in throats that range from 0.448" - 0.451" as confirmed by my pin gauges. Once the throats were reamed, problem solved.

Not a story I read in a gun rag, my gun and my fix.

Brownell's has the reamer and pilots, which I recommend springing for.

6gun

Hunter
Thin weak case's is the nature of 45LC, sure glad I went 44mag. with my Vaquero's never a brass problem with my loads light or heavy. :p

DGW1949

Hunter
kantor99 said:
I'm loading Trail Boss with mid range weights. Any suggestions for a better load?

The answer to that is realy perty-simple;
8.0-8.5 grains of Unique under a 250 Grn LSWC . Crimp the bullet good and you'll be in business.

DGW

keyston44

Bearcat
6gun said:
Thin weak case's is the nature of 45LC, sure glad I went 44mag. with my Vaquero's never a brass problem with my loads light or heavy. :p

The weak 45 colt case is another myth. There is nothing weak about the 45 colt case.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Key

contender

Ruger Guru
The weak case story goes WAY back to the old "Balloon head" cases. They haven't been manufactured in decades. A few survive in collections etc, but modern cases are just fine. I'll doubt that any cases used here are of the old balloon head type.

Rclark

Hunter
I've personally never run into this problem in any of my .45s. I've loaded mine up with light TB to heavy TB too in tests. Bullets were 250g RNFP and 255g SWC... Be curious what the problem is, when you find it.

kantor99

Bearcat
I think I'll buy some commercial reloads and see if the same problem develops. If not, then it's something I'm doing during reloading. If yes, then its the gun.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
I have never had problems with my .45 Colts in any platform, rifles or pistols. As has been stated it might be tight throats or too light of loads. One thing Ruger is known for is making the throats way to tight on their .45 Colt revolvers. I do not know why they can't get their act together and get this issue sorted out. Pretty much out of the box you need to get your throats reamed to .452 to .4525 and you will see a big difference in accuracy, reduced leading, and ease of shooting. I would check the throats an then proceed from there. You can send your cylinder to Cylinder Smith and he will fix it up. He did one of mine and it made a significant difference.

Bell Swamp

Bearcat
kantor99 said:

I use a lot of Trail Boss and have found that the max load listed in the data manual put out by the maker works much better than lighter charges. I get a lot of blowback in my Marlin and some backed out primers with reduced charges. I also use some other powders (Unique is a favorite) and generally load them near the max for the loads designed for older revolvers.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
6gun said:

"Thin weak case..." You are kidding right? :?

BTW: One of John Linebaugh's 5 shot .45 LC Blackhawks will use that "weak" case to leave the .43 mag so far in the dust that...well we won't get into that! :wink:

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Bucks Owin said:
6gun said:

"Thin weak case..." You are kidding right? :?

Yep you are right. Funny how people still think after a hundred years that the .45 Colt case is weak. In new firearm the .45 Colt easily outperforms the .44 Mag and does it at lower pressures.

I have .45 Colt cases that have lasted more than 15 loadings, all stoutly loaded too. Eventually they might go, but I like living on the edge. :mrgreen:

Long live the .45 Colt.

Greebe

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
kantor99 said:
I've run into a problem reloading my 45 LCs for my Ruger Vaquero. The problem is that when I put them into the gun, the cylinder spins free but after shooting one, the cylinder is really hard to turn or won't turn. I tried ensuring the new primers were seated flush or below flush but that didn't seem to help. There's plenty of room between the bullet and the end of the cylinder. Any suggestions? Thanks
Can you see why the cylinder won't turn? Anything rubbing?
Is the base pin staying locked in place? All though I've never had this problem, others have.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
SweetWilliam said:
kantor99 said:
Can you see why the cylinder won't turn? Anything rubbing?
Is the base pin staying locked in place? All though I've never had this problem, others have.

I had a .45 Colt that with heavy loads it would pop the bas pin out a little. Turns out there was a little piece of junk in the spring of the release. Once it was cleaned it didn't do it anymore. I remember now that this caused the cylinder to bind. Good thinking that is something I forgot about mentioning to him.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I've had a couple primers not seated all the way that caused ruff cylinder turn.
But nothing after I fired the gun.