Power compare: 45 vs. 40 vs. 9mm vs. 380

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Spike12

Bearcat
I know this is pretty subjective but here goes....

I've always been a 45acp/357mag/380acp guy. But lately I've been thinking about something more easier to carry. I like the mid range of power (357) but would like more bullets. The GP100 is heavy and the S&W 37-2's 8+" barrel is pretty hard to hide and I always feel like the Joker shooting down Batman when I pull it out.

So (God have mercy) I've been considering a 9mm or a 40 instead of a 45. (I can't believe I'm saying this).

Question 1: How much power difference is there between 9 & 40? Enough to worry about?

Question 2: What's the difference in shooting a 40 vs. 9? I've heard the 40 is not as sharp.

Question 3: How much *more* power is there in 9mm vs. 9mm short? I have a P230 (380ACP) which is an easy carry but I don't have faith in the 380 power, not that I'm overwhelmed with 9mm.

Ramble on, dudes!

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
If I were you I'd go with 9mm, in comparison now a days the 9mm's can get just as good results as the 40 cal. Some people complain the 40 is snappy compared to a 9mm but say 45 is just as smooth as a 9mm. I can't answer the last one as far as power of a .380

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I'm thinking in order of power
40 caliber
9mm
Just a wild guess.
Was this a trick question? Is there anybody in the free world that
does not know this?
Now what level you feel comfortable with is your call my friend.
Some people like 40's and some like .22's because they have less recoil
How much recoil do you want? Figure that out and go with it.

TRanger

Blackhawk
I regularly carry a .45, but do not feel poorly armed with a 9mm. I doubt there is much difference in performance between the .40 and 9mm with good ammunition and it's my personal opinion that the 9mm feeds more reliably through a self-loading action.

Mike J

Hunter
I own 2 full sixed .40's & a 9mm subcompact. I usually carry a .40. I do believe quality ammunition can make as big a difference as caliber. I also believe shot placement is more important than caliber. Any of them can do the job with proper shot placement. I choose to stay in the 9mm & up range caliber wise-not slamming anyone elses choices.
You do know there are high capacity .45 caliber options out there in service sized pistols now if that might interest you. I have a XD-40 I bought a few years ago. I was kinda annoyed after I bought it & realized the XD-45 is pretty close to the same size & actually holds one more round (the .40 has 12 round magazines the .45 holds 13).

revhigh

Hawkeye
I was never one to worry too much about caliber for a carry gun. I worry far more about having a carry gun that I will actually carry because it's comfortable enough. I started with a full size 45 SOB, then went to a G26 IWB, I hated that. Then went to the G26 in a pocket ... I liked that, but even a G26 is heavy to lug around in your pocket all day. I now carry a KT P3AT in my pocket. Weighs about 11 ounced full, no hassle to carry at all, you don't even know it's there, but it IS there, which is the important thing. Lots of times the G26 WASN'T there because I just didn't feel like lugging it around.

I think civillians get WAY too carried away with worrying about the caliber and knock down power, etc, etc. The chance of ever needing a gun are slim to none, and if I DO need one, and I start pumping 380's into a perp ... are they REALLY going to keep coming ?? Highly doubtful.

If you're a cop ... fine ... go for knockdown power and capacity because you're not carrying concealed. For a civillian, for me, it's all about comfort, and actually having the weapon. That's why so many people have drawers full of holsters that they don't use any more. Carrying a gun pretty much sucks ... it's uncomfortable and a pain in the butt, and if you can make it easy enough, and comfortable enough, and you don't really go into situations where you're at extreme risk like a cop would be, I'm comfortable with almost ANY gun. I'd even take a .22 for protection against most threats that I'll likely encounter. Better a .22 in your pocket, than a .40 at home in the drawer.

Your results may vary.

REV

Scott

Single-Sixer
Thank you, Rev - that mirrors my thoughts pretty closely but I rarely state them publicly because of all the emphasis on cal/knockdown power/etc. etc. Same line of thinking is why my SR9 (on my belt under my work clothes as I type) is loaded with target grade FMJ Win/Am Eagle/Remington, or whatever it is that I reloaded after my last range trip; I KNOW that my gun is reliable with the ammo that I shoot hundreds through it at the range. As opposed to $1.25/round SD rounds that I won't put hundreds through my firearm, therefore don't have as much confidence in.

A .22 in a BG is more effictive at stopping him than a .45Colt in your safe at home is (or in the wall behind him). However, I will admit that showing my .45Blackhawk to a BG may stop him quicker than shooting at him with my Jennings .380 would :)

ruger_fan

Bearcat
Totally agree also Rev.

My father swears he needs the .45 stopping power, and goes to great lengths to conceal it (Kimber UC II), even using a ankle holster from time to time.

I went 9mm because I can shoot it better, lighter, easier to conceal.

About to get my CHL in a month. If the SR9c ends up being too big for carry most of the time (IWB), then I'm seriously considering the LCP or LCR.

leejack

Single-Sixer
Please Mr. Bad Guy, before you beat and rob me, can you give me 20 minutes to go home and get my 44 magnum?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lee

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I have a theory about concealed carry, be comfortable carrying AND shooting the gun. Like Rev said, he went through a few different configurations before he settled on his carry rig. And, I know that there are many people that like the way a P3AT shoots. It can be a .45 or 10mm; or, a 9mm, .380, or .38 spl. I would suggest something that is controlable.

Being armed does change the odds (usually evens them up or makes them better). Some people want a .357 Sp101, some want a G26, others want a P3AT. Heck, I've read on here that some guys carry .41 spl SAs. Everybody is different.

Personally, I like the idea of a 10mm G29. LOL Overkill, but that's why I like the idea the most. Also, there is the option of a .357 sig. 9mm bullet in a .40 case. In case your attacker tries to run and hide.

But seriously, I'd suggest a 9mm or .380 since you seem to be leaning towards an auto. Higher capacity and easy to shoot. Plus, you have a lot of gun options. Just load it with quality hollow points.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
What Rev said is my entire carry philosophy.
I also carry a p3at everyday. Just because it is always there.
I think 7 shots of 380 is enough insurance.
That's all carry guns are is an insurance policy.
Heck cops carried less firepower than that 50 years ago.
So for a civilan 7 shots of 380 seems like a fair amount of insurance.

Some buy bigger insurance policies.
But reality is we all have about as good a chance of winning the lottery as ever actually using a gun, so for me any gun is a good gun.
I wouldn't feel too bad carrying a .22 that works.

leejack

Single-Sixer
Recently, while on a walking trail in a wooded area, the Gov of Texas encountered a coyote that became aggressive and threatened his kid's lab puppy.

Gov Perry pulled out his Ruger 380 and took the coyote out!

Don't mess with Texas or Ruger! :wink:

Lee

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
leejack":3f8sn6fi said:
Recently, while on a walking trail in a wooded area, the Gov of Texas encountered a coyote that became aggressive and threatened his kid's lab puppy.

Gov Perry pulled out his Ruger 380 and took the coyote out!

Don't mess with Texas or Ruger! :wink:

Lee

He also bragged about his laser grips. LOL That's just awesome!

jhearne

Buckeye
Rev stated it very well. I don't carry, I should, but I don't. If I did, I'd probably not carry my SR9, I'd go for an LCP or LCR or some other .380 pocket pistol made today. The SR9 though makes for a great bedside gun.

Josh

Hammer

Single-Sixer

I worry far more about having a carry gun that I will actually carry because it's comfortable enough.

I carry a gun not because it is comfortable.

But because it is comforting.

~ Clint Smith

from my poor aged memory...

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
When my dress and weather permits I would prefer to carry a .45. My reasoning is I really do believe that the round is more disabling than a smaller round in the case of a marginal hit. Which leads me to my next point which is bullet placement is very important. You will disable a felon quicker with a .22 through the eye than you will with a .45 through the arm. I'm not advocating carrying a .22, but I'm just trying to stress the importance of shot placement.

What do I carry most? I live in Florida, so quite often I'm dressed very casually, in light clothing. Therefore, most times I'm carrying a 9mm, because of the typically smaller size of guns available in 9mm. I feel secure with a 9mm, but I must admit, I do feel a little better packing a 45!
As for 380, my Ruger LCP is with me most days either as a New York reload or when I just can't carry anything bigger.

pb

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I posted my thoughts a while ago. I agree wholeheartedly with those who say most forum dwellers spend far too much time worrying about caliber - though I admit I've spent some time thinking about it, too.

Personally I don't have much use for .40 S&W, but have several carry guns in .380, .38 Special, 9mm, .44 Special, and .45 ACP, and don't feel at a disadvantage with any of them.

-- Sam