Post office, wish me luck

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, I had a pistol being re-finished at CCR in Greenville Tenn.... and I also sent them 6 magazines to put their super duper coating on.... they shipped the pistol & magazines on Monday with delivery to my FFL by yesterday (Thursday) and of course sent me the tracking #.... I started checking...

Left their post office Monday and went to Knoxville that night... then on Tuesday early morning was sent here to Greenville S.C. then late Tuesday night they sent it to Lehigh Valley PA! then for two days it went back and forth between that facility and one in Pittsburg.... then late last night they actually sent it back down here to Greenville... and is supposed to go to my FFL today I guess... unless they send it back up to PA.....

My other concern with all this was that in checking on the package there was no added insurance on it.... well over a thousand dollars worth of gun and parts in it! Wish me luck on this one....

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
blume,
If you sent your gun to a smith to have modifications done, shouldn't he be able to send it back to you without going through an FFL?

Terry

T.A. WORKMAN said:
blume,
If you sent your gun to a smith to have modifications done, shouldn't he be able to send it back to you without going through an FFL?

I figured someone would 'catch' that. I did not send the gun to CCR, I actually bought it on an auction on the Sig forum sort of kinda by accident (if I said that on that forum again I would get banned it seems) this pistol, a nice Sig P230 (380 caliber) was donated by a gun dealer .... I thought for sure it would sell at auction for at least a thousand dollars... (more than it's worth but thought some of the folks there with extra money would step up) so the auction began and after a day or two and near the cut off time (also, if no one had upped the bid in 30 minutes) ... I checked and it was under $800 and so I just to be a part I bid $800 then went out on the porch and smoked a cigar and had a shot or two of bourbon.. came back in after a while to go to bed and the computer was still on and so I checked again and had been out bid... $830 or so... and I figured I'd bump it one more time to $850 just to look like I was being a part.... got up the next morning and damn..... I had 'won' the auction. Not really complaining... it was all on me and the Sig P230 is probably the best designed and looking semi-auto pistol ever built.... it actually has curves... One of the issues I think I caused on that forum because the moderator loves Glocks and I think they all look like a shoe box and are ugly .... I actually have a Sig P230 I carried for years and love it... just wish they came in 9mm... but then Sig did do this to a degree with the Sig P239.... which I now carry ... but in 357 Sig.

Anywho... the reason it is coming to my FFL is it went direct from the gun dealer that donated the pistol to CCR and then they of course have to transfer it down here to me via my FFL. The reason it went to CCR is they had donated treating it or such also as part of the benefit to that forum... I felt like they should get something out of all this and so I sent them 6 various magazines to do one of there coatings on at the same time and of course paid them for that..... which should be packed in with the pistol and other items that came with it. We'll see later today.... I actually have another pistol sitting at my FFL that came in on Tuesday and I've been putting off picking up so that I only make one trip... which is kind of silly since the place is 3 miles from me.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
".... have a Sig P230 I carried for years and love it... just wish they came in 9mm..."

SIG/Sauer P230 is, as you know, a compact, straight blowback pistol in .380 Auto. Recoil of the 9mm is much too severe for straight blowback operation. Short recoil or delayed blowback soaks up initial jolt of recoil, apropos the 9mm Luger and larger cartridges. Straight blowback has been tried in 9mm Luger, a way to make the gun cheaper and smaller. Beats the hell out of pistol and shooter.

Straight blowback works fine in a submachine gun, where to use a brick for a bolt is acceptable. The P230 is my favorite pistol in .380 ACP, far more comfortable and reliable than the prototypical Walther PPK and PPKs. Main instigators of practicality, the Russians came up with what I consider the benchmark straight blowback, the Makarov 9x18mm.
David Bradshaw

CCR=Cummings Custom Refinishing. Good folks.

"had a shot or two of bourbon.. came back in after a while to go to bed and the computer was still on and so I checked again and had been out bid... $830 or so... and I figured I'd bump it one more time to $850 just to look like I was being a part...."

That "shot or two of bourbon" might have had more to do with you bidding and winning than you admit...

;)

32shooter

Blackhawk
Blume, Good luck on getting your goods back to you! I have my a Marlin Model 90 out to them right know to get refinished. They do good work, just can't be in a hurry. They refinished my slide on my CZ 75 and a Marlin 39A.

Did not make it to my FFL yesterday.... good friend who wife and I have not seen for a while had come to visit for a few days.... her family has a cabin up in NC where her 90 year old mother spends most of the summer. She got word that her brothers were coming up and she decided she did not want to cook and wash for them...

Friend and I plan to go to the FFL this morning....

Mybabyisa44mag.... send me the serial number and I'll check both of mine. (no joke)

I got to my ffl yesterday and several of the employees there came by to look at the pistol again... it seems they really liked it. Everything came in fine. I should have asked to see the box everything was packed in, still wondering why it all bounced around Pittsburg for two days.

Here she is: (CCR did a great job)

Rook

Blackhawk
They are really nice looking guns but a little on the heavy side for a .380 at 18 1/2 ounces empty.

Personally I think these light 'plastic' carry guns are just too far over the edge.... I did carry an LC9 for a year or so and would often forget that I even had it.... but in the end, at least for now, I like having a piece of iron on my side. On top of that, I can't even imagine shooting 357 sig in a light 'plastic' gun.

Now I do have to say one thing concerned me... while I was 'watching' the package travel up to PA and around Pittsburg I checked the information on the tracking.... at least the USPS sight said it only had $50 insurance on it... pistol I paid $850 for plus 6 magazines I sent them and paid them direct to get the CP2 finish on....
So... I was a tad worried for a day or three...