Pocket carry & loud bang

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, one of the cardinal rules is to only point a gun at something you want to destroy... but does that include when the gun is 'dormant'. Whether in a good holster on your side, in your pocket or just sitting on the coffee table at home? Contrary to what they write or report in the news, guns don't go off by themselves... A lot of shoulder holsters have the gun pointed at what ever is behind you...

I guess with the situation sin cup described .... if the pocket gun that was pointed at the guy's groin across the table was a striker fired or 1911 style with safety off and a tooth pick or such got caught inside the trigger guard while it was holstered and had pulled the trigger almost to the point of tripping it and then you adjusted your sitting ... yes, the gun could have gone off on its own.
I wouldn't necessarily consider bouncing around in a pocket dormant. A good holster helps but most pocket holsters aren't known for retention and if they were would add taking the holster off the gun to use it.

Ranger

Single-Sixer
I've come to appreciate the benefits pocket carry can offer at times (isn't always the best). I haven't found the perfect holster that adequately (in my opinion) disguises the firearm outline yet though. Still looking.

I've been taught that when carrying a handgun on your person the trigger should be covered... and all the holsters I have do this including the one pocket carry holster. Pocket carry holsters are designed to be sticky on the outside and slick on the inside.

I've come to appreciate the benefits pocket carry can offer at times (isn't always the best). I haven't found the perfect holster that adequately (in my opinion) disguises the firearm outline yet though. Still looking.
I've found that putting the spare magazine alongside the pistol in the holster completely breaks up the outline of the gun and means you have a reload handy.

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_151510600.jpg
    IMG_20221207_151510600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20221208_110242347.jpg
    IMG_20221208_110242347.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20221213_144827675.jpg
    IMG_20221213_144827675.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20221213_150602014.jpg
    IMG_20221213_150602014.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 65

TPopkin

Bearcat
I carry a S&w Scandium J-frame .357 in a Galco holster....almost never know it is there from pulling down my pants. Seats well in driver's seat of the car. lightweight guns are easy to carry and a bit more difficult to shoot. Comforting to know it is there.

StevethePirate

Bearcat
I've been pocket carrying a J-Frame in a Simply Rugged pocket holster off and on for about a year now. Yes, with the wrong pants, it prints more than is acceptable, but it's a great option in winter coat pockets, baggy pants, cargo shorts, etc. With a proper pocket holster (and dedication to keeping that pocket clear of other items that may find their way towards the gun), they're as safe as any other carry method. It takes different care and respect for the gun than carrying owb, but for its niche, it's very hard to beat.

Paul B

Hunter
My pocket gun is an S&W M60 .38 Spl. I sits bare in my right hand pocket and doesn't print in most of my jeans. Its job is back up to the IWB Colt Combat Commander that is my main piece. Sometimes I use a Walther PPK/s as my main gun with the M60 again playing back up. I cannot think of anything that might make that gun go band while in my pocket. The Combat Commander is a 1911 type gun and is carried condition one. I don't worry about it either.
Paul B.

I don't where/how it was carried but I heard a 'clatter' and saw a shiny silver finish revolver skitter from under the partition of a stall in the Menards men's room a while back. The guy at the urinal closest to the partition casually pushed it back under with his foot. Then he looked at me, rolled his eyes, and shook his head. I couldn't stifle a chuckle that seemed quite loud in the 10'x20' space.