Pitting on redhawk hammer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
I'm noticing a considerable amount of pitting and little rust spots on the hammer of my Ruger Kodiak Backpacker .41 magnum and this seems like it's a fairly recent occurrence. I bought the gun brand new back in January of 2017 and I fired it on only occasion at a range. I should also add that I do carry it in a leather holster on a daily basis (I've never sweated on it either) and it stays in the holster in a drawer when I don't wear it. I suppose I might be making a big deal out of nothing, but I was always under the impression that stainless steel was supposed to resist corrosion exceptionally well. That and Ruger's ballyhooed reputation for building guns that were supposed to be so durable.

In any case, have a look at this photo and let me know what you think:

IMG-2351.jpg

NikA

Buckeye
The usual reason for corrosion of stainless steel is chemical attack. A few years ago, Ruger had a serious problem with rusting on the SR1911 series due to the chemicals they used to finish grips sitting against the frame under the grips. Some chemicals used to treat leather can also cause corrosion on stainless, so it is usually not advisable to leave even a stainless gun holstered for long periods of time.

I can't tell from your picture whether what you're seeing is even corrosion/pitting. Can you catch the spots with your fingernail? Have you tried scrape the spots with something like a credit card edge (would scrape off something dried on but not corrosion)? I see maybe 5 spots of possibly very minor discoloration on your hammer; I wouldn't describe what I see from your picture as even a considerable amount of discoloration, let along pitting or rusting.

contender

Ruger Guru
Stainless steel has never been 100% corrosion proof.
Look to the leather & all for the culprit.
Buff with a ScotchBrite pad,, and keep oiled.

Another thing,, sometimes we humans have oiled & acids in our own skin that cause issues. Some folks moreso than others.

we used to see that in the early stainless guns ,,especially the Old Army.....and other models in the mid 70's......hmmm...almost seems like "casting craters" when we tried to polish them out , they were larger below the surface, I KNOW this happened with the brass grip frame castings, there was MANY "BAD" ones............ yes the picture seems to show them as "pits" :?

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
NikA said:
I can't tell from your picture whether what you're seeing is even corrosion/pitting. Can you catch the spots with your fingernail? Have you tried scrape the spots with something like a credit card edge (would scrape off something dried on but not corrosion)? I see maybe 5 spots of possibly very minor discoloration on your hammer; I wouldn't describe what I see from your picture as even a considerable amount of discoloration, let along pitting or rusting.

It's definitely corrosion, albeit very small. I can feel roughness on each of the spots with my fingernail like you describe.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
It isn't bad for being carried daily in a leather holster. How does the rest of the gun look?

The rest of the gun still looks good as new. Going by everyone's replies about the chemical used in treating leather and the effect they have on stainless steel, I suspect the corrosion might be caused by the inside of the strap which is in contact with the hammer when the gun is holstered.

I appreciate all the replies to this thread. You learn something new every day.

JStacy

Blackhawk
as Contender indicated , stainless is a misnomer . SS steel is merely corrosion resistant not corrosion proof. If you treat you SS gun like a blue gun you will never have corrosion. All of my SS guns get a good coating of light oil after use. Green scotch brite pad should match the factory scratch pattern and remove the surface rust.

olcop

Single-Sixer
Try rubbing 'em with the edge of a new penny, might remove,and, it won't hurt.

jpickar

Blackhawk
I have almost all stainless handguns but I always wipe them down every time I carry them or shoot them. Stainless gun metal does rust and when it does it usually pits. There has to be carbon in gun metal for strength. Pure stainless is too soft and gummy to use in guns.