P94 9mm Jams Loading Round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
There you go 5-7, you actually mentioned some parameters, just throwing out polishing something means nothing.

There was a thread back about two years ago about polishing a feed ramp, one of many that I have seen. I mentioned that the proper way was to use Crocus Cloth wrapped around a compatible radius wooden dowel and use up and down movements only being careful to not roll it into the chamber. You would have thought that I came from the Planet Zootsuit for Christ's sake. The thread turned into what is the best grinding/polishing barrel for a Dremel tool for the job.

I have spoken with many gunsmiths over the years and many have said in one way or the other, that for the most part guns are designed and/or built better now days but what keeps them in business is a nitwit/kitchen table gunsmith with a Dremel tool. They can ruin anything on a gun in just seconds.

I still think this guy's issues probably have nothing to do with the sheen of his breachface and telling someone to have at it and polish it is just plain wrong with the proliferation of Dremels out there. A balky extractor is a know culprit with P series guns and maybe with this guy's issues, you can search my history and find that I have pointed that out many times before. It was already pointed out in this thread, so I mentioned some other thing(s) that could also be looked at, as twenty guys saying extractor makes for a very dumb thread.

You are not wrong, I'm a serious gun guy. I just don't throw things out there and hope something sticks or gets broken in a self inflicted way.

5of7

Hunter
Cheesewhiz said:
There you go 5-7, you actually mentioned some parameters, just throwing out polishing something means nothing.

There was a thread back about two years ago about polishing a feed ramp, one of many that I have seen. I mentioned that the proper way was to use Crocus Cloth wrapped around a compatible radius wooden dowel and use up and down movements only being careful to not roll it into the chamber. You would have thought that I came from the Planet Zootsuit for Christ's sake. The thread turned into what is the best grinding/polishing barrel for a Dremel tool for the job.

I have spoken with many gunsmiths over the years and many have said in one way or the other, that for the most part guns are designed and/or built better now days but what keeps them in business is a nitwit/kitchen table gunsmith with a Dremel tool. They can ruin anything on a gun in just seconds.

I still think this guy's issues probably have nothing to do with the sheen of his breachface and telling someone to have at it and polish it is just plain wrong with the proliferation of Dremels out there. A balky extractor is a know culprit with P series guns and maybe with this guy's issues, you can search my history and find that I have pointed that out many times before. It was already pointed out in this thread, so I mentioned some other thing(s) that could also be looked at, as twenty guys saying extractor makes for a very dumb thread.

You are not wrong, I'm a serious gun guy. I just don't throw things out there and hope something sticks or gets broken in a self inflicted way.

As I said before, I assume that any gun savvy shooter knows the difference between polishing a breech face and grinding a breech face.Perhaps that is a mistake, and I will grant that.

Polishing the breech face is my number 3 method of fixing feeding problems. Number 1 is polishing the feed ramp, and number 2 is polishing the extractor hook. Number 4 is to try a different magazine or replacing the magazine spring.

Polishing the breech face is often the solution because it reduces the friction of the rim of the cartridge as it slides up the breech face. It doesn't take much to cause feeding problems and this is one (of many) of the solutions. 8)

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I would like to apologize to lbk for steering his OP into a pissing match.
My feeling and I'm quite sure of this is that your extractor has too much tension in it as it stands now. The problem is that Ruger's extractors for P series guns are mostly cast and trying to loosen it may be taking quite a risk.
You could try to bend it at the apex of the bow against a solid edge but I would only use a press with a properly shaped set of blocks for that and a very careful hand.
There is a way to profile the lower portion of the hook but this this has to be done carefully and only to the lower portion facing the magazine and the cartridge rim's entry point. The are some 1911 extractor profiling tips on the web but make sure the guy that posted them has most of his teeth.

lbk

Bearcat
I had a chat with Ruger and decide to send them the P94....with no real source for replacement extractors I didn't want to mess with it myself. I will see what ultimately needs to be done to fix...will update the post.

lbk

Bearcat
Got my P94 back from Ruger. They replaced the extractor, note says they put 40 round through and all was good.

I ran a magazine of snap caps through using "sling shot" cycling....all went smoothly.

Can't wait to do live rounds.

So how does one address the challenges in getting these parts independent of sending pistol to Ruger.....what they did was above and beyond in being helpful and fixing for me....like most I'd like to have a couple of the more prone to wear-out/break parts in my fix it inventory (extractor, ejector, firing pin).

Checked the usual places ie Brownells, Midway, Jack First Gun Shop & Numrich no luck with these parts being available.

Thanks to everyone with feedback, I tried them all and just thought it best to let Ruger address for me.

For anyone interested I did pick up a SR-22 and it was a blast to shoot, not one miss fire or jam I used CCI mini mags).

roylt

Hunter
Good to hear you got it running right again. As for parts, I have a few but have never really changed anything from breakage or failure. I buy used guns and some parts are rusted etc from neglect is all.

I just picked up a complete 94 model for under 270 in hand so I wouldn't worry about parts really. IF Ruger can not fix a pistol they will give you a replacement. I sent in a P97 with a bad frame and they sent me a 1911. I had to pay a bit of an up charge but still happy.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

modrifle3

Buckeye
You will go bankrupt before breaking an extractor under normal use. And as I have long since preached, if Ruger can't fix it, they will replace it. Don't worry about it, just enjoy the pistol.

modrifle3

Buckeye
roylt said:
Good to hear you got it running right again. As for parts, I have a few but have never really changed anything from breakage or failure. I buy used guns and some parts are rusted etc from neglect is all.

I just picked up a complete 94 model for under 270 in hand so I wouldn't worry about parts really. IF Ruger can not fix a pistol they will give you a replacement. I sent in a P97 with a bad frame and they sent me a 1911. I had to pay a bit of an up charge but still happy.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

Same here, I sent a p97 that hit the concrete and busted the frame and due to a system issue, I got a 1911 in its place. Only cost $79!

Giulesdad

Bearcat
Ok hope this helps as I have read alot of posts about this problem with the P94 . My P94 worked great until about 500 rounds. I clean my guns after each use. My P94 started jamming. I noticed at first the casings started ejecting up, instead of to the side. I thought this had to do with ammo. Then it started to jam. Not ejecting the spent round. Not every clip, but enough to stop carrying, as I had no confidence. I researched and found it was more common than I thought. So it wasn't ammo. I Did read someones post about the ejector bar getting bent somehow, so I took mine out ( witch the manuel doesn't provide instructions for, nor have I ever needed to with my other guns ) It is really easy. When I did OMG! there was ALOT of residue under the bar. Cleaned it ( no bending ) put it back and have had no problem since. Now I take it out after each use. Hope this helps.