P91DC - Estimated value factoring in difficulty of finding any for sale.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dcav6809

Bearcat
Clearly subjective, as the P91dc is a rare find due primarily to the limited amount produced, and it now being more of a collector's item. But throwing it out there anyway:

What would the price range you would expect to have to pay if one became available? TY!

bishopm14

Bearcat
One closed on GB earlier today for $630 plus shipping / tax/ fees. For my locale that would end up as around $730 final cost after transfer. It was used but in the plastic case with accessories and paperwork. Not worth it to me, I've gathered a P89DC and P90DC in the past four-ish years for little over that much combined. Just picked the P90 up from the FFL yesterday actually.

dcav6809

Bearcat
Yes, that is definitely HIGH compared to the actual original price and what they are getting. That kind of syncs up with what I've been finding, in that people may be purchasing just to add to their collection, and overpay. I guess for those who have money to burn, go for it! I wouldn't want to pay over $500 total, but may not be able to find one in that range. I'll keep looking.
Thanks for the help!

I'm not an expert... I actually had to look up the P91... even though they are most probably just like the other P series pistols of that time.. work hoss's and pretty much built to perfection... compared to todays wanted guns... plastic, small, light and 9mm..... not in the highly desirable groupings... I'd throw out $4-450.. what Ruger should have done is made a barrel in 357sig for it.... they missed on that.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
I'm not an expert... I actually had to look up the P91... even though they are most probably just like the other P series pistols of that time.. work hoss's and pretty much built to perfection... compared to todays wanted guns... plastic, small, light and 9mm..... not in the highly desirable groupings... I'd throw out $4-450.. what Ruger should have done is made a barrel in 357sig for it.... they missed on that.
The 357 Sig wasn't released until 1994. The P91 was either discontinued by then or close to it.

The 357 Sig wasn't released until 1994. The P91 was either discontinued by then or close to it.

You're right, the P91 was only produced for 3 years (about 25,000 per year/75,000 total, IIRC). Plus, Ruger has never seemed to like promoting cartridges associated with competitors; 40 caliber P-series barrels were marked ".40 AUTO" rather than .40 S&W, and recently they dropped that chambering entirely. Has Ruger ever chambered a handgun for .357 SIG?

GLGAR

Bearcat
This is good news. I have a stainless KP91DC that I bought new in 1992. I considered selling it over the years but never got a decent offer. Glad to see they are starting to increase in value.

And another for $581 NIB and one for $456 NIB plus one in "excellent" condition ( no box ) for $200.00.

As my friend Captain Obvious once noted, it is always wise to consider multiple auctions, rather than just the highest of the bunch, when trying to determine value. I would personally disregard the $200 auction - if you look at the photos, the firearm shows substantial wear (the seller described it as "good" condition). The other 3 firearms were in much better condition and included extras (box, papers, mags, etc.); if you average the winning bids for those 3, you get $556.

Looking at the bid history on an auction is also important - some auctions go way too high because a couple of bidders get into a 'pissing contest'. That may have happened on the $630 auction, because you can see that there were 3 bidders up to the $515 mark, but the final $115 increase was due to just 2 bidders. For the other two auctions, there were 3 bidders up to $556 (on the $581 auction) and 3 bidders up to $415 (on the $456 auction). If you average those points where the third bidder dropped out, you get $495.

Other factors influence bidding as well. Buyers on GunBroker usually have to pay for shipping; of the 3 auctions we're considering the highest ($630 winning bid) had free shipping, and the lowest ($456 top bid) had the highest associated shipping charge, at $45. So, no surprise there! In addition, sales tax and transfer fees (if any) can obviously influence bidding.

Before the Wu Flu, when I was buying P-series handguns on GunBroker, I could find very good to excellent examples in the $200-$250 price range (IIRC, the last two I bought were a nice KP93DC for $180, and a nice KP94DAO for $210). I think those days are long gone.

hittman

Staff member
A seller may hang his hat on the $630 price while a buyer is likely to remember $200.
I didn't read all the posts to see if this gun in question has it's original box, it's condition, etc.

A seller may hang his hat on the $630 price while a buyer is likely to remember $200.
I didn't read all the posts to see if this gun in question has it's original box, it's condition, etc.

Yeah, if you were selling and set a starting bid of $630, you would be lucky to get any bidders, at least any time soon. The starting bids for two of those three auctions were in the $370-$400 range (and the third auction still had 3 bidders above that), so that would probably be a fairly safe asking price for anyone in a hurry to sell. Someone with more time could try $495 for a starting bid/asking price (average of points where the third bidder dropped out). With inflation and rising prices, that $630 would be a good value for insurance purposes, and might even be "the going rate" for a nice P91 in a year or three.

I sold or traded most of my firearms to an FFL back in 2020-2021, including almost all of my Rugers, but I still have my KP91DC - I think in some ways it's the best of the metal-frame P-series guns!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

pyth0n

Buckeye
Clearly subjective, as the P91dc is a rare find due primarily to the limited amount produced, and it now being more of a collector's item. But throwing it out there anyway:

What would the price range you would expect to have to pay if one became available? TY!
I checked 3 sites. Gun Broker, Guns America & Guns international. Prices ranges from $379 to $800.
Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
.357 SIG barrel? Didn't know anyone had a .357 SIG any longer. I know someone with a .40SW (actually made by S&W) but only because it was a good deal at the time. I have a good ole P95DC in the the favored to me all black color scheme. It's a cheap tank and I don't care what it's worth although it's pristine. I don't buy junk or new at the store.

I would buy a discontinued Ruger if in excellent shape even if I wasn't looking for it as long as the price was good. I don't want a stainless P-series but if a black P91 came along, I would consider it for $400 or less. Not worth more than that to me.

dcav6809

Bearcat
Thanks for all the great info, opinions, and feedback-I really appreciate my Ruger friends.
In the event anyone knows or hears about a P91 up for sale, I'm still looking to purchase one to add to my small collection of handguns. I am in no rush, as I expected to 'play the long game'.
Thanks again folks-take care!

Latest posts