• P90

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P345

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Snake45

Hawkeye
B.Roberts":2nkp6ytn said:
P345 is light, thin and easy to carry concealed.
+1. Reminds me of my beloved Colt Commanders. The only Ruger CF automatic of any interest to me at all. Good stuff!

A

Anonymous

My wife loves shooting the p345. I shot a P90 this past weekend and it felt very similar to the 345. Its bigger, so it filled my hand better (that doesn't sound right...) so in that aspect the p90 was more comfortable to me. Recoil is about the same, accuracy (with me shooting, not the greatest) is also about the same. I bought the 345 new and have not had an issue with it. Didn't clean it till just recently. I put about 100 rounds through it straight out of the box without issue. The extra Promag I have for it isn't the greatest, but I haven't had issues with the factory mags, or mag release.

If you are going to be having your daughters shoot the gun also, have them hold the two guns and see which feels better. You might also ask them which one looks better, because they may be more likely to shoot a gun they like then one they don't.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
Welder said,
No problems at all with the 345, but like the simplicity of the 90 a bit more."
Those are my sentiments exactly. I like much about the P345, including its looks, ergonomics, weight and some of its design features. When it came out I had misgivings that its frame and slide rails were lighter built than the P97, though I have no doubts or misgivings about the Isoplast material Ruger uses to build them. In the end, however, the added components, magazine disconnect, ILS, and loaded chamber indicator are not as attractive to me as the simplicity of the P90. I do like the cam block a bit better than the toggle link but the P90 has earned great respect for durability and reliability over the years, so that's not a big deal. I much prefer how the safety works in the P90 over that of the P345 in that it completely disengages the trigger. For my purpose the increase in weight of the P90 and the increase in bulk (which is really not all that much) are not issues but the track record over 20 years of the P90 is a huge plus. While I like the P345, except for the magazine disconnect, I prefer the P90. I sold my P345 and replaced it with (gasp) a Glock 30 SF which fills the desired role better - for me.

welder

Buckeye
GaryA, I did the same thing with my 345 only I got the G21. I wished I had gotten a G30 now and have my eye on one. I will hang onto the P90, I really like it and like you said it has a great track record. I can shoot it better than I could the 345 and things you posted about the 345 are exactly why I like the 90 better.

P.S. I won't tell anyone about the G30 :D :D :D

GhosT

Blackhawk
Note to zander,

Ya said....
"The extra Promag I have for it isn't the greatest, but I haven't had issues with the factory mags, or mag release. "

Sounds like a lesson I learned long ago------Promags.
Bought many, a few were 100% reliable,but after that lesson learned,

Promags are cheaper and fine for the range, but for DEFENSE think FACTORY RUGER MAGS!
HMHO of course ;)

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
GhosT":1gd2p9fa said:
Promags are cheaper and fine for the range, but for DEFENSE think FACTORY RUGER MAGS!
HMHO of course ;)

When I think "factory P90 mags" I think "FTF & dinged up mag wells."

JMHO of course... :twisted:

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Fellers, I told ya and told ya! The P-90 AIN'T too big to CC! Who keeps trying to convince you that it is? I walk with a cane, but can and do carry a P-90 from get up to go to bed inside the waist band!
P-345 easier to shoot 'cause it's lighter?????? Wait a minute! Last I knew, any given load in a lighter gun recoiled MORE if the guns were of similar shape and size!
My daughter-in-law, all 110 pounds of her can handle the P-90 for 50 rounds or so and she ain't even a 'gun person'.

noquarter

Single-Sixer
Been wanting a .45 for years - now I got one.
I voted last night - at the local GS. P345. Thanks for this thread. It told me that I would be happy with either choice, so I just went for what I liked.
Now I have another hungry mouth to feed. :lol:

P90

Single-Sixer
Colonel Daddy":2en8ymps said:
Fellers, I told ya and told ya! The P-90 AIN'T too big to CC! Who keeps trying to convince you that it is? I walk with a cane, but can and do carry a P-90 from get up to go to bed inside the waist band!
P-345 easier to shoot 'cause it's lighter?????? Wait a minute! Last I knew, any given load in a lighter gun recoiled MORE if the guns were of similar shape and size!
My daughter-in-law, all 110 pounds of her can handle the P-90 for 50 rounds or so and she ain't even a 'gun person'.
My 12yr old Grandson shoots my P90 and loves it. :D I also carry mine all the time IWB and hardly ever notice its there.

David-Z

Bearcat
Bought one this week and really enjoy it. The ergonomics are GREAT and it shots very clean tight groups. I was also debating on the P90 or P345 and am glad I purchased the P345.

David

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Colonel Daddy":2rrr0xmd said:
Fellers, I told ya and told ya! The P-90 AIN'T too big to CC! Who keeps trying to convince you that it is?
Colonel D ... I think that most of the sentiment on this and most threads that I've seen on this particular comparison are not suggesting that the P90 is too large for carry ... only that with the P345 being shorter, narrower and lighter, it's an easier carry. I think that anyone would have to concede that smaller & lighter = easier carry (not necessarily a better carry as each person needs to determine that for themselves) :wink:

P90

Single-Sixer
GaryA":14k2plj1 said:
Why do the 8 round mags reportedly "ding up" the P90 mag wells but not the mag wells of the P97 or P345?
They have a stainless steel stop under the feed ramp that probably was put there just for that purpose.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
P90":27l1y4q4 said:
They have a stainless steel stop under the feed ramp that probably was put there just for that purpose.

Which would probably indicate that while it might be a real problem with polymer, in alloy it's just a cosmetic annoyance.

Not that anyone would expect them to actually fix the problem or anything... :roll:

GaryA

Single-Sixer
Which would probably indicate that while it might be a real problem with polymer, in alloy it's just a cosmetic annoyance.

Which would make me wonder if it is not a bit like flame-cutting in a revolver, or the scar left on a recoil shield by opening and closing a cylinder. Perhaps it is self-limiting?

jlottmc

Bearcat
I'd take the P345 only because I already have it. I haven't seen a P90 in quite some time. On the plus side, I believe the magazines interchange.

jlottmc

Bearcat
I'd take the P345 only because I already have it. I haven't seen a P90 in quite some time. On the plus side, I believe the magazines interchange.

jrc270

Bearcat
I only have the P90. When you have 100% reliability with factory ammo and handloads (including the infamous gold dot flying ashtrays), it is hard to go to something else.

I did try a Kimber Custom II about 10 years ago... would only shoot ball ammo reliably, and it had to be using a Kimber 7 round magazine. The Kimber 8 round magazine would Fail To Feed the last round every time. Over twice the cost of the Ruger but miserable reliability. I'll stay with the P90. By the way, when it did go bang, the Kimber was extremely accurate (even better than the P90), but I didn't care for the "bang" roulette.

Reading the other post it looks as though the 345 is also quite a shooter. But being a geezer, I'll stay set in my ways... P90.