P90 or P345 which do you prefer?

• P90

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P345

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
I agree that the P90 is the most accurate and reliable pistol right out of the box I have shot or owned. I've owned and shot many pistols to include competing in service matches during my Marine career. The P90 isn't trendy but is the AK-47 of the pistol world. Never jams, always fires! Except the P90 just happens to be supernaturally accurate to boot.

P90

Single-Sixer
welder":10juvy4q said:
P90":10juvy4q said:
I have both, and Carry the P90. The magazine release has malfunctioned on the P345. I won't trust a gun that will occasionally malfunction. There might be some of the P345's that won't malfunction, but mine is not one of them.

P90, I have a P345 too. Would you tell what happened to the mag release? Stick, break, fallout? I want to know what to watch for. Thanks.
Your gun will snap but no primer strike. It gets a false reading that the magazine is released when it is not. Mine only happens rarely, but too often for a CCW.

welder

Buckeye
Oh, O.K. I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the mag release button. I take it you are talking about the mag (disconnect) safety. I took mine out, although I never dry fired it anyway. If I remember right, on the other Ruger forum, a gun smith said the mag safety was poorly designed anyway and (he) would never have it on a ccw gun. Thanks for the reply. By the way, I want a P90 too. :lol:

FED327

Bearcat
My choice is the P90. It's proven to be tougher than an anvil and I cannot say the same for a plastic gun...Would you want a plastic anvil?

Ian G.

Bearcat
they are both very similar guns, my dad has the p90 and thats what i learned on. i recently picked up a p345 and the main benefit is the thinner, lighter ergos. also the p345 has more modern safety features which is a plus in my book. the only issues ive had with the p345 was my own fault (dont dry fire without a mag). it is a very accurate pistol once you get used to it. i tended to shoot to the left a bit when i first had it.

my dad has had his p90 since the mid 90s, never had any problems ever

airwin

Bearcat
This decision will get hard. The P345 is slimmer, more suitable for CC and may be the more modern pistol. The P90 is a true Ruger design and very rugged and reliable like a tractor. An important advantage of the P90 are the "missing" safety features. This features are only sources of troubles. At my P345 I has "cleaned" this features before the first shot. But this is only my opinion. Both are very good guns.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
When I went looking for a Ruger .45, I made the same comparison. In fact, there's a thread I started on it somewherre in the past.

I really liked the P90. The 345 just didn't fit me right and I'd have needed to put on a wrap-around grip on it. The P90 I was comparing it to had the Hogue already installed (P90TH model). It felt slightly big, but still very comfortable.

I also liked the looks of the P90TH much better, so that's the one I picked:
6603.jpg

(Photo from www.Ruger-Firearms.com)

In fact, I'm playing hooky from work this afternoon to go to the range and shoot it.

Aqualung

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Despite the undeniably improved ergonomics of the P345, in fact those of the P90 actually aren't all that bad. Throw in the P90's accuracy and overall durability/reliability, and it's no contest for me either-I'd recommend the P90.

Best, Jon

az6gun

Bearcat
I had a P345 and sold it off, I think because I was a 1911 shooter, the grip was too short and narrow feeling. After all these years I'm looking to purchase the dated P90. I consdered the 90 a great value cosidering its reliabilty and accuracy of 1911's costing 3x the money.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
I shot both my P90 and P345 and they are both accurate, I also cleaned under my rear sights on the P345 as it will be my primary CCW, P90 my Car/Truck/Bike Gun and my GP-100, my house Mouse. In no way am I ditching my 90.............................................

welder

Buckeye
Took the plunge today. Bought the P-90, traded off the p345. No problems at all with the 345, but like the simplicity of the 90 a bit more. Spent a while researching old posts,(coffeepot's) and found the p90 to be one well respected gun. Will try to get it to the range this week-end.

welder

Buckeye
Thanks! I'll do my best to get caught enough to go. I actually think the P-90 feels better in my hand than the 345 did?

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
I was at a Gun Shop awhile back. It's called the Cop Shop and everybody that works behind the counter are cops or retired cops. The guy waiting on me was pressing me hard trying to sell me FN's new wonder .45ACP. The other guy working actually got bent out of shape when I announced the most accurate and reliable pistol I ever owned was a P90. He smugly informed me that I obviously knew nothing about shooting. I told him that I probably did as I was a Match Shooter in the Marines and not only was a member of several Rifle/Pistol Teams but had also been the SNCOIC that trained and led a few. Those teams always brought home medals. He shut up and walked away. Those people think it's gotta be high dollar and the latest fad to be any good. It wasn't but a few years ago that those same people were looking down their noses at the M1911A1 and you see what a comeback it's made. My point is, I'd trust my life to a P90. I can't see why I'd want anything else because of that point if nothing else.

welder

Buckeye
Thanks Gunny. I held the P-90 numerous timed and always liked it. Just about every report mentions how accurate they are. I don't think anyone could deny the sturdiness of it either. I am a 1911 guy, but I like the SA/DA and reputation of the Ruger. LGS hasn't had one for a while and last week two appeared in the case. Went back yesterday and there's was only one left. I had the 345 with me and compared the two. The P-90 just felt better to me and pointed naturally as well. Like I posted earlier, I never had a bit of trouble with the P345, just didn't care for the magazine safety or the LCI. That big Ruger just appealed to me and I traded. Looking forward to putting it through it's paces soon. The design instills confidence, that and a lot of good positive posts. Plus it's an American made Ruger. :D

leejack

Single-Sixer
This poll has been running a while now and it looks like a dead heat between the two guns.

I haven't taken the plunge yet, but I'll post when I do.

I have never had an American made Ruger or Smith fail me; I know I won't go wrong!

Thanks for the responses and cast your vote if you haven't already.

Happy shooting!

Lee