P90 or P345 which do you prefer?

• P90

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P345

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

P90

Single-Sixer
Lee, you knew I couldn't let a opportunity like this pass without posting a picture of my P90. For anyone that might be interested, there's lots you can do to Customize the P90. Mine has been Engraved, Different Grips, Action Job, Stainless Steel Guide rod. It has a 9lb. double and 3 1/2 single action pull. It is the most fun gun that I have to shoot. Mine is the top of my line firearms.
P90StagGrips4.jpg

leejack

Single-Sixer
Calvin, I'm drooling on the keyboard! :lol: That's got to be the sexiest P90 on the planet!

Happy shooting my friend!

Lee

TRanger

Blackhawk
The P90 has a long time reputation for dependability. The P345 has, as yet, not measured up to that record. For that reason, I would choose the P90.

leejack

Single-Sixer
I agree Eric!

The P90 has almost reached cult status, while the P345 is relatively new. The P90 should be blowing the P345 out of the water by a large margin, but it's not. Keep in mind, I'm a former P90 owner and huge P90 fan.

I ran a similar pole over at the firing line back in February and got similar results. See for yourself, the P345 won!

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthr ... 345+vs+p90

Although I'm not a fan of safety gizmos, as long as they work as advertized, it's usually not a deal breaker for me.

I think what we're seeing here, is that in this day and age with all of the guns to choose from (especially plastic ones) , more and more people are paying attention to the "e" word. Ergonomics! I think that many people are finding the P345 quite pleasing to hold, shoot and carry.

If I can get both I will. Never had a Ruger fail me!

Lee

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
I've owned one P90 and two P345s. I still have the P90DC, but I no longer own the P345s. The P90 is the more accurate by a small but significant margin. The P345 is marginally more CCW friendly than the P90. However, you can get Crimson Trace (laser) grips for the P90. They are not available for the P345.

If I could change anything about the P90, it would be to add the ability to carry it cocked-and-locked else have a double-action-only P90 (I want the trigger pull to be the same every shot!).

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
gatorhugger":3satalou said:
bad guy breaking down the front door which one to choose.
The never fail P90 or the 99% P345.
Hmmm.
Easy choice for me.

Easy choice for me, too. S&W wheelgun. My KP90 is VERY far from 99%. :(

Lessee... 3 malfs out of 83 rds yesterday. What's that come to...:roll:

welder

Buckeye
O.K. you guys, I promised a range report and here goes. First, let me say I love this P-90. I fired 150 rds today and there were no failures or problems of any kind. Perfect from the box. Ammo was 50 rds of Blazer brass, 230 gr fmj and 150 rds of my hand loads made up of 230 gr Rainer fmj over 5.3 grains of 231. Beautiful performance. I did not do measured paper accuracy testing, the range was crowded and I was content to consistently knock down all the flappers at a setting. I would guess that my paper targets were easily 2-3 inches at 12 yards. I know, not spectacular but I'm a welder who plinks and not a marksman. I will do some measuring next time. The gun made me look good. I only have one regret and that is not trying one of these before now. This big old Ruger is a fine weapon. Recoil is easily absorbed and recovery easy. I do think the 345 was maybe a hair easy on the hand as far as recoil but it is a minimal difference at best. All in all this Ruger can shoot and I can attest first hand at the functionality of the P-90. A fantastic weapon indeed.

Guns019.jpg

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
50 -50 right now...

The closest neck-and-neck poll I've seen on the Ruger Forum.

MD

pyth0n

Buckeye
I have the 90, 97, & 345. I shoot them all equally well & would not give up any of them. I prefer the 97 or 345 for carry because they're lighter and slimmer than the 90. I'm on the short side & relatively small hands so I find the 345 carry is more comfotable for me. Never had a problem with the mag release. I've used it in IDPA & was impressed with function & accuracy.

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
pyth0n":16ajsbti said:
I have the 90, 97, & 345. I shoot them all equally well & would give up any of them. I prefer the 97 or 345 for carry because they're lighter and slimmer than the 90. I'm on the short side & relatively small hands so I find the 345 carry is more comfotable for me. Never had a problem with the mag release. I've used it in IDPA & was impressed with function & accuracy.

That's a useful post for me thanks! I've been thinking about looking for a P97 and a P345 to go with the P90. The P97 wasn't around long and I was wondering how those who own one like them before I look around for a used one. I fired a friends P95 and liked it and it shares about the same ergonomics so I figured I would like it.

resident

Single-Sixer
FED327":qo9z2ptq said:
My choice is the P90. It's proven to be tougher than an anvil and I cannot say the same for a plastic gun...Would you want a plastic anvil?

Which would you rather CARRY? (As for me, I never use my pistols for anvils.) :roll:

I bought a P97(DC) in used condition ($275) that looked new and had it's box and accys/2 mags from a dealer near League City, TX. After an initial bout with malf's (fairly certain caused by the previous owner lightening up the recoil spring) which Ruger fixed free (and the dealer paid the freight)...it's been a wonderful, reliable, accurate weapon. It's my constant companion.

I didn't vote in this poll because I didn't want to unfairly skew the results, but the 345 is the successor piece and if I couldn't find a 97 that's probably what I'd recommend. (I'm a 1911 fan who dislikes Colt and loves Rugers due entirely to the vastly different treatment the respective factory's give a customer who needs service.... the point is, that the 97 is the first polymer-framed pistol I"ve owned and it has completely assuaged any concerns I previously held about plastic guns. Ruger Rules!)

PS-Also, when I travel, I have less monetary-loss risk of theft, when comparing $275 to $1200-$1500 for the Colt.

leejack

Single-Sixer
Well Nancy; Lee's poll has been running for over five months now.

Could be the closest poll in RF history! :D

Happy shooting,

Lee

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
What's with "the P345 has better ergonomics?"

Well... yeah... for you.

I fondled both before selecting the KP90. I liked the feel of the 90 quite a lot better. Didn't much care for the shaved down levers on the 345 either.

And besides... everybody knows that a pistol should be made of metal... :twisted:

sargents1

Single-Sixer
I dont have direct experience with the P90, but have shot several other full sized P-series guns (P85, P89, P944) and have shot one P345.

I like the P345 for its comfy grip and trim profile, but For my money the P90 is the better gun. Full sized P-Series guns are quite comfortable for me when set up with the Hogue grips. Its not just me either, my wife had no trouble with my P85 the few times she has come with me to the plate shoot. I have big hands but she does not. The grip-thing is somewhat over emphasized by some folks.

My beef with the P345 centers on the magazine disconnect safety. If you (or someone else, like a previous owner) dry-fires the gun without the magazine in place, you will damage the gun. This is unacceptable to me.

Mag disconnect safeties are kind of dumb in-and-of-themselves, but are not a deal breaker for me. Guns that damage themselves when handled in a pretty typical manner ARE a deal breaker. If you buy a used gun there is no way to know if the previous owner sat around dry-firing the gun repeatedly without the mag in place. If they did you could be buying a problem. You will not have that issue with the P90. I suppose if you were buying a brand new gun, i could see going with the P345 but that is the only way I would consider owning one.

Neither the P345, nor the p90 is an ideal carry-gun for most folks. If you want a carry gun, get an SR9c. So for a range gun, the P90 is better for most folks.

My .02$

Cheers,

GhosT

Blackhawk
LEEJACK,

What a Great Thread ya started!!!! :)
I couldn't vote as owned neither.

But I do have my 2 cents to add...as been following the P90 for decades!
Those that own one....look up it's history!

It's not accurate by accident...lol....RUGER was at a rough point....
They brought in a "GUY" to design it's barrel....safe bet,that move paid off!

The P90 (JMHO of course) one of the top 5 guns RUGER EVER PUT OUT!
RUGGED, RELIABLE,ACCURATE, and low maintenance...!!!!!!

{Here is where I get in trouble,lol}
It Inspired me to buy one of my favorite guns ever......a P91!
The .40SW version :D
The size and shape..the same as the P90.

NEVER has a gun fit my hands better!

Both the P90 and P91,Enough weight to eat up the recoil,yet light enough to carry.(I'm 6'2" and 215 pounds).......

I will suggest to P90 owners, check out MEPRO Nite sites!
Mine are over 15 years old and still going strong!

Again LEE,
I can't give you any good advice,
but thanks for a great thread :wink:

P90

Single-Sixer
Great Thread! Shows the Ruger P-Series Pistols are great guns. I just had a set of Trijicon night sights put on my P90. They sure do make a difference at night for us Old Farts. Hope everyone enjoys the Ruger P Pistols as much as I do. :D

Hitides

Bearcat
Great poll but not much of a help to me. I've been researching both and debating with myself whether to buy the P90 or the P345. I was hoping to see a strong preference for one or the other but it seems like everyone is happy with both. I haven't shot either one but I have had both in my hands, the P345 feels slightly more comfortable to my grip but I'm impressed with the long time great reputation of the P90. What to do ! Maybe I'll just flip a coin !

P90

Single-Sixer
Hitides":nvphq3dp said:
Great poll but not much of a help to me. I've been researching both and debating with myself whether to buy the P90 or the P345. I was hoping to see a strong preference for one or the other but it seems like everyone is happy with both. I haven't shot either one but I have had both in my hands, the P345 feels slightly more comfortable to my grip but I'm impressed with the long time great reputation of the P90. What to do ! Maybe I'll just flip a coin !
My recommendation is to find somebody with both, shoot them, and see which one you shoot best. Sometimes you just naturally shoot one gun better than the other.