P85 Ruger in 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I have a chance to buy a P85 with three mags in VG condition. How does this one stack up against the P89 and P90? Price is $325.00. Is it a straight safety model or could it be a de-cock model. Thanks, Dave

modrifle3

Buckeye
P89 was the next generation of the p85. I would buy it for $325 if it has the box etc. Neither are as good as the p90. P90 is regarded as the best of the early p series. If the gun appears new...buy it.

tech4064

Bearcat
All of the the guns you listed have a reputation for being durable and reliable. However, Ruger did have a recall for the early model P85s. You can find all the information about that on their website.

We are installing a safety modification that replaces the safety and firing pin mechanism of the original Ruger P85 9mm pistols, manufactured between 1987-1990.

This modification does not apply to any P85 which has "MKIIR" stamped on either the right or left safety; the "MKIIR" identifies that the safety modification has already been installed.

The modification also does not apply to any other model P-Series pistol (including the P85MKII), as this safety system is installed in all other models at the time of production.
All Ruger P85 pistols should be fitted with this new safety system because a P85 pistol fitted with the new safety system will not accidentally discharge when the safety/decocker lever is engaged if the firing pin is broken in a particular way.

That's very important! It can help prevent accidents caused by the user's failure to take the basic safety precaution of always keeping the pistol pointed in a safe direction, especially when loading, unloading or decocking.

http://www.ruger.com/safety/announcements.html

With current prices being what they are, $325 doesn't seem like a bad deal for the package you described, IMHO.

As for which is better, People have claimed that the P90 is the most accurate of the P-series pistols, but I shoot pretty much the same with all of them. Of coarse, I have never fired any of them from a rest.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
If you were considering a 9mm, why not consider some of the other P series pistols if you didn't want the P85? The P85 probably had it's modification done, and if not I bet Ruger would still take care of it. While the P90 is a very nice and accurate gun (I have a KP90, and a few other KPs as well)... it is a .45cal and eats a little higher priced food. But, if you already have a .45.... you know that.

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
I have a P85 that i bought used a few years ago. It looked brand new and had hardly, if any, been fired. My only problem with it is excessive rattle. Breath on it and it will rattle. Unnerving.

chet15

Hawkeye
Dantforth:
If you are looking for a 9mm though, the P90 isn't what you are looking for as that is a .45ACP.

First came the P85 9mm, then its upgrade to the P85MarkII and transition into the P89 (had to do with a safety change in the mechanism).
The mate to the the P89 was the P91 in .40S&W and the P90 in .45 ACP.
Then Ruger came out with a slimmer 9mm (tapered slide) called the P94 and a .40S&W called the P944. Then there was also the compact P93 in 9mm.
After that was the Zytel framed P95 in 9mm and P97 in .45 ACP.
Chet15

JimInMichigan

Bearcat
If your wanting a 9mm....I just purchased a P95 new ( came with 2 mags ) for $345. I know your not buying the P85, just wanted to weigh in that I thought the price a tad too high for used.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I really do appreciate the info I get here. I get all sides of the subject and that is what I am after. I have settled on a P89 or P90 platform. Caliber is less important to me. The thing that needs to be taken into consideration here is that I am Canadian and not only are prices different there but the laws are certainly different. I buy and sell on a site called Canadian Gunnutz and firearms find their own level there. I am starting to buy a few more Rugers and that is why I am here "lurking". Dave