Opinel Pocket Knife

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've had this one for many, many years. I might lose an expensive knife, but this one keeps showing up in the sock drawer or various desk drawers. I really love the black lock mechanism. It's simple and effective. The blade can be locked either open or closed. It isn't very heavy, and if I remember correctly, only cost $8 or $10 back in the day.

And I have no idea why, but I've never thought about going to their website until this very minute. Hmmm. I don't really know much about their other knives at all.

I imagine this handle is made from European Beech. It's very nicely finished and smooth.

IMG-3808.JPG

IMG-3803.JPG

the locking mechanism. Here the blade is locked closed.
IMG-3807.JPG

IMG-3804.JPG

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Been around for a zillion years. I own several. They are basic knives, work fairly well and can be had in carbon or stainless. I have mostly carbon steel one, I just use cold blue on the blades, takes two mins, and it helps protect them. They get very sharp, are relatively strong and cheap enough that you can buy a few to keep in packs, bags, cars etc. (IMHO) The #6 & #8 are the most popular.

I was told that while the Opinel blade lock has its own patent, it was originally developed by the Romans! Anyone know who actually developed this, one of the first "non-floppy" folding knives?

eveled

Hawkeye
My Dad was a chef and a knife guy. Not a collector but a user. He had and appreciated nice knives.

Usually my knives did not impress him. Until he saw my humble Opinel.

Turns out he had a co worker who kept one in his lunch box and my Dad always admired it. But never found out the name or how to get one.

So to me Opinels will always be lunchbox knives.

Except for the mighty number 13. It is a picnic knife. Hands down the best watermelon knife ever made.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
My Dad was a chef and a knife guy. Not a collector but a user. He had and appreciated nice knives.

Usually my knives did not impress him. Until he saw my humble Opinel.

Turns out he had a co worker who kept one in his lunch box and my Dad always admired it. But never found out the name or how to get one.
Yes, sometimes the most simple is the best. I have at least 5-6 of them stashed in various backpacks etc, the car where ever. You can buy them for $10-15 bucks. How can you go wrong? I usually have them in my packs with a Mora MG fixed blade ($15). I have never had either of these types of knives fail!