Ongoing project...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hillmillenia

Bearcat
I still have this early model single six. I need to have the barrel removed from the frame (I have a new early model replacement barrel) so I can polish and blue the frame, then I would need the new barrel re-installed. I really don't want to invest in the proper tools for a one time use...the original barrel has been hack-sawed off to about 3-4" and is history. The gun layed in a wet box for some time resulting in the current condition. the cylinder(s) are pitted on the side but are polishing out ok. I am wondering about the special shipping requirements for all of the potential trips back and forth...or is overnight service required on a bare frame only? Anybody here interested in tackling this? fees for this service? Thanks for any advice and help.

Hill

G2

Hunter
If you don't have a local gun dealer w/ a ffl that would be willing to ship the frame USPS then it will get a little price, as yes it should go overnight as per UPS policy.

I have to believe you have a gunsmith local or near by that can pull a barrel and re-install the new one.

I have a very similar project in the works, My gunsmith is in Phx, AZ and I won't get back till winter.

hillmillenia

Bearcat
G2...Thanks for the reply...I have had the "feelers" out for some time and have yet to find a competent smith...This project has been goin' on for some 5 years or so and I'm in no great hurry...I do have a friend with an FFL so if I can save shipping cost elsewhere, that's a big help...and I haven't got to the cylinders gapping right with the new barrel installed...Guess when I send this back to have the new barrel installed, I could send the cylinders along too. :roll:
Hill

hillmillenia

Bearcat
Nah...heck it's 2-1/2 hours over there and I work all the time...not complainin'...just sayin'...And they charge you to get in those things! when did they start doing that?! There are plenty of gunsmiths in Oklahoma...I'm up in one of the most culturally dead cities I've ever lived...no music scene...no gunsmiths to speak of and the only gunstore in town...well if you can't say something nice then...like I said, no great hurry... :lol: