Ruger MKII Parts Gun Project Completed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Whatnickname

Bearcat
Promised I would provide an update on my project....well, here it is. The barrel swap was completed by a good friend that is an accomplished gunsmith. Would have done it myself but the only place in the country that has the correct receiver wrench is Brownells. The wrench was not in stock and could not be back ordered. My friend had to make a receiver wrench out of tempered aluminum. Mark IV bolt works just fine. Volquartsen adjustable sight that was supposed to fit the existing dove-tail on the receiver didn't. Sight was .005" too large. The receiver dove-tail had to be opened up by my friend. Hi-Viz front sight was used. I installed the Volquartsen hammer, sear and trigger. Volquartsen mainspring assembly was used. Took it to the range Sunday. Nickel size groups were produced shooting the gun over sandbags. Going to set it up in a Ransome machine rest next to see what's it capable of with match ammo.

This has been an interesting project. I've learned quite a bit.

B1A6637B-600D-4361-BD6D-748245E00ECA.jpeg

Awesome!

I see the barrel and the receiver both have the infamous "Ruger paragraph." Now you're TWICE AS SAFE! :D

I would probably have filed on the VQ sight, and left the dovetail as it came from the factory. Two different routes, to the the same place! 👍

JStacy

Blackhawk
My rugers are all fond of CCI SV and get as good of groups with it at 50 yards as some of the "match" ammo I have tried.

Latest posts