New Project: Custom 10/22 Target Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Looks much better, I'll clean up the lines when I sand the entire stock.

3aLlHgEl.jpg

I drew out a cheek rest on the piece of wood....

mfTCGd9l.jpg

....then cut it out with the jig saw and cleaned up the edges on the belt sander

NaohNuEl.jpg

UndJdAbl.jpg

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Before installing the cheek rest and comb piece I needed to deal with the butt pad, I probably wont have enough room to put the stock on the belt sander after installing the cheek rest.

I marked the position of the trigger on the stock and squared off the butt stock with my compound miter saw.

I have 13.5" of LOP, with the addition of the butt pad it will be close to 14"

aGbkqbHl.jpg

I then traced the profile of a butt pad from a Ruger American rifle

oRzzOyml.jpg

I marked some guide lines for where I will start the rounding of the stock

oEOcZlnl.jpg

using a file I rounded the stock top and bottom

3YSlFo3l.jpg

I marked the butt pad on the flip flop and cut it out

1b24hjWl.jpg

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Some JB Clear weld 5 min epoxy and the chunk of flip flop is now a recoil pad

SUarjsgl.jpg

While I was mixing up the epoxy for the butt pad, I mixed up some with some sawdust and put it in the joint at the top of the pistol grip, this is the weakest spot on the stock and it could use the extra support.

LxQCeq6l.jpg

I also cut the front of the forend to 30 degrees

lG4fr0sl.jpg

I then fitted the butt pad by sanding the wood and pad together.

CInOaBgl.jpg

There is still a little work needed on the top, another layer of body filler and some sanding will take care of it

4gfGQR7l.jpg

now I'll start with the body filler and the final contouring of the stock, stay tuned

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
blog post link: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-1022-target-rifle-project-part-9.html

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
This is the final part of the stock work, when we left off I had just finished installing the butt pad and were installing the cheek rest and the comb.

Here is the cheek rest being glued into place

njdJqc2l.jpg

Once the glue dried I measured for the new piece for the top of the comb, cut it out and cleaned it up on the belt sander.

UbVts9nl.jpg

Then glued it in place, I'll make another one to make it full width, then sand it down from there

af3ybPQl.jpg

now that we have all the pieces in place, we need to round, contour, sand, fill, sand some more, prime then paint.....

pBcUIlkl.jpg

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
I thinned it down some, and them began adding the body filler

nDQFCwul.jpg

I start with the grip, I need to cut in some compound curves, which are difficult to make symetrical

RpFO1Qhl.jpg

First round of body filler, you can see how much it shrank. It is important to let it fully cure before sanding and moving to the next round.

zdIDRCGl.jpg

Here I am removing material at the front of the cheek piece, I want it to disappear into the stock. I will also need to fill and blend the area in front of the cheek piece.

ZhPeLCQl.jpg

Second round of body filler, looks horrible, I had to work fast before the filler started to harden.

Gx62clOl.jpg

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
More profiling of the cheek rest, getting closer to the final shape

ZhPeLCQl.jpg

More sanding on the opposite side, the body filler shrinks when it dries so I'll need to add another layer

tmSQn2Il.jpg

building up and blending the bottom of the stock, we are trying to get it flat and turn the step at the left into a smooth ramp

8M6T2uLl.jpg

The transition at the front of the comb is almost done

r4swwCAl.jpg

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
More progress, the shape is finally done, now I need to smooth the body filler and remove the scratches

7sC4aQul.jpg

The stock was pretty close, so it is time to put our first coat of high build primer on, then we will look for scratches, glue lines and imperfections that we can fix

The light pink stuff is standard body filler, the darker pink stuff is spot putty

aV5a9gel.jpg

bHpnswEl.jpg

bHSmUGol.jpg

o9ZWHyKl.jpg

Rinse, lather, repeat.....

M6oCAStl.jpg

I think it is finally ready for paint, in the next installment we will coat the stock with paint and assemble

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Blog post link:

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-1022-target-rifle-project-part-10.html

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
I am going to use Rust-Oleum semi-gloss white as the base coat, I am not sure a base coat is needed, but I figured it couldn't hurt.
I'll follow the base coat with the Rust-Oleum pearl mist and then a Krylon satin clear coat

dfxjXSjl.jpg

Here is the 1st coat of white semi-gloss, after two coats I will wet sand and then add the Pearl Mist coats

RPI28SKl.jpg

After two coats of white base, 3 coats of pearl mist and 2 coats of satin clear, the stock is ready for assembly.

mWsrSRJl.jpg

VTHH5UJl.jpg

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
MsG2yNFl.jpg

SiFvBz8l.jpg

more pictures at my blog

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-1022-target-rifle-project-part-11.html