Old Vaquero Variations - Brass

Help Support Ruger Forum:

High Tower

Bearcat
Just curious for all you experts but did Ruger ever make an Old Vaquero in the Birds head grip style with the grip assembly made out of brass? I have never seen such a thing so if you have a picture, please post it.

I have a Ruger Old Vaquero in .45LC but no birds head grip. I used to own one in stainless in the New Vaquero but sold it. :(

Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good morning & Welcome to the Forum!

Any NM Ruger with a grass grip frame is not factory. All the Vaquero's, Original & New, are all new model actions, so they were never offered with a brass grip frame.

There have been several companies that have offered aftermarket brass grip frames. Some weren't very well made,,,, while currently,, there is an excellent company, "RW Grip Frames" that has been turning out some EXCELLENT grip frames for Rugers.

contender

Ruger Guru
Depends upon who made the brass g/f an how much it goes for. It might be a good deal. If RWG made it,, and is under $300,, a deal. (But I'm not sure if RWG made any birds head grips.)

G2

Hunter
This listing made me laugh, Full of BS, BUT what it sold for $330 + $6 ship and EBay charges Tax.~$21+.

Qualite grip NEW Model GF that was converted to use on a OM Trigger spring & plunger, and used on a dismantled OM 45 Vaquero.

Now we all know the Original/ Old Model Vaquero identification hickup, BUT in this configuration it truly was used on a OLD MODEL 45 Colt🙄🙄🙄.

…and the Grip panels with the custom rare red bird medallions,,,,

Somebody wanted this reaaaallly bad. Bad.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger did experiment with brass ejector housings for the Vaquero. The plant manager at Prescott (Bob Stutler) was a ringleader for trying to get Ruger to produce them, yes a few were made... but good luck getting a letter saying it came from the factory.
Chet15

Ronnie does make brass birds head grip frames. This is the first old model one he made a nd it required a couple of slight modifications in the trigger area but I shared that with Ronnie and he made adjustments for future ones. Pretty sure he makes them in the new model configuration as well.
hgxoJY6.jpg

jf4OjF1.jpg

mNEeDj9.jpg