old model disassembly/ assembley video

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have watched Ruger's video on their website and have a couple manuals ( Gun-Guides and Iowegan ) But none really show a concise step by step sequence to an Old Model. I recently picked up a converted Single Six with the bag of original parts and want to restore to O.E.M condition. Does anyone know of a video online that shows a detailed disassembly , assembly?

G2

Hunter
I don't think a OM video exist. Not to worry a OM is easy, way easier than a NM in my opinion.

Assuming you know how to catch the strut assembly and have pulled the Grip Frame without loosing the Pawl spring/ plunger assembly. (Just like a NM)

1. Pull the trigger screw & trigger.
2 . Unload the bolt spring, with a small screw driver. It's hooked in the side of the cylinder frame, push it down a little and when the little leg clears move it away from the cylinder frame wall, unloading it. Remember how you did this because you will want to assemble this and then reload the spring, DON'T get in a hurry and load it untill you have it captured/ secured by the thru screw. (It will go fly away baby, and you will look like this little dude... :shock: )
3. Now pull the bolt screw, bolt & bolt spring.
4. Hammer screw, Hammer & Pawl.

Your done it's really quite simple and easy. No captured pins like the NM.

Just remember to unload and load the bolt spring when you have it captured ONLY. Don't have too, but you will run the risk of loosing it.

xtratoy

Buckeye
thanks for the help. I will go slow and pay attention to what I am doing. I have looked like :shock: before and its not fun looking for little springs :x

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Here is a thread that will help you I think. 8) 8)

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16136

...Jimbo

xtratoy

Buckeye
Thanks Jimbo, the older I get the more I study and analyze things before tearing in to them. I have taken a New Model apart before on my tailgate on a gravel road with no manuals, but that has been quite a few years back. It even worked after putting it back together. That link gives me more info to do the job.

xtratoy

Buckeye
Yeah Buddy.... I dove in and got it done. Pretty easy thanks to G2 and Jimbo's help. I now have a 4 clicker that is smooth as a babies bottom. I can't believe how different that action feels now. Cocking the converted action was rough and gritty feeling and the trigger while crisp was around 5.5 lbs. With the original parts and a different trigger spring I have a smooth cocking action and an awesome feeling trigger pull that measures 2 lb. 1 oz. Now I know why why everybody who has the Old Models love them. I have 1 SBH, 3 Blackhawks (2 45 and 1 357), 1 44 SPL Blackhawk and 3 other Singles Sixs, all New Models. They all have great feeling triggers and are smooth while cocking but they sure don't have that cool 4 click action. Thanks again for the tips to make this an easy task. Now I need to find more Old Models. :D

flatgate

Hawkeye
OM instructions for disassembly of unloaded revolver.

Remove cylinder. Remove grips. Pull hammer back and lock mainspring with cross pin.

Remove all screws. Gently shake revolver...... :D

That's it.

flatgate

Tongue in Cheek procedure, of course..........

J Miller

Blackhawk
flatgate said:
OM instructions for disassembly of unloaded revolver.

Remove cylinder. Remove grips. Pull hammer back and lock mainspring with cross pin.

Remove all screws. Gently shake revolver...... :D

That's it.

flatgate

Tongue in Cheek procedure, of course..........

:lol: :lol: May be tongue in cheek, but it's not far from the truth. :wink:

Joe

flatgate

Hawkeye
J Miller said:
May be tongue in cheek, but it's not far from the truth. :wink:

Joe

Roger that! I do it that way with my shooters. The safe queens RARELY see a screwdriver but, if I do have to work on one it's a WAAAAAY different procedure :D

flatgate

gunman42782

Hunter
AGI has DVDs, but they are a tad expensive. But, they are very detailed and have nice close ups, very clear, so you know you are doing it right.