Old Dog Learns A New Trick ____Maybe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Well, I went against tradition, and bought myself a new OWB holster for my Ruger CMD. Not leather mind you, no Sir. This time around I went as far as to give a kydex holster a try. The new holster is the Eclipse by Blade Tech. And darn if it's not the very best holster I have ever tried. Holds the gun very secure, and very close to the body, rock solid as a matter of fact. The draw tension is adjustable too. Very flat holster, so it conceals very easily. I guess it's the solid feel of this holster I like most of all, and of course the ease of draw. Would I go back to a leather rig? Not anytime soon. :D

A.W.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I'm waiting on the Safariland GLS to become available for the 1911.
It looks to be really good, especially with the retention.

I'm also not wildly enthusiastic about four to six weeks to get a plastic holster.
(The GLS will also be about 40% less expensive . . . so I'm cheap :roll: )

Mike J

Hunter
That looks interesting Pat. I have a Safariland ALS for my XD that I like a lot. I was thinking about maybe picking one up for my SR 1911 but I saw a video a guy had posted saying he was accidentally taking the safety off when he used the thumb lever to unlock the holster. It shouldn't be a problem if one keeps their finger off the trigger but still....

Anthony I haven't tried the belt loop that came with my Safariland ALS holster. When I use it I use the paddle & I am either wearing a large untucked shirt or open carrying. It does not really conceal as well as my belt slide holsters. The biggest reason I bought it was I open carry when I go to the woods & I didn't want to present the opportunity to grab a pistol. I don't know the GLS might be different.

A

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
AW, how the heck are you?

I've been using Blade Tech offset (DOH) holsters for competition for many years, they really are a great holster for retention and ease of pull and they really don't beat up the finish on my guns. I've never considered a Blade Tech for a carry holster, I'll have to take a look.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Hi Cheese, good to hear from you, how are you? Gosh, I don't come in here anywhere near as much as I used to. As for the Blade Tech Eclipse, it's the first non leather holster I've tried. And I'm sold on it. As for leather? Just my opinion, but I believe for the all steel 1911, leather holsters just aren't rigid enough for my taste. That's what led me to Blade Tech. And I've no regrets about it. For a lighter gun leather is fine, but for stability kydex offers, it's hard to beat. But again, just my opinion. Nice hearing from you Cheese!

A.W.