Odd Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hastings

Single-Sixer
I thought I'd share a picture of my Vaquero. I loaned it to a friend about a year ago, and he didn't oil the cc finish on the frame. When I got it back it had light surface rust (no pitting, just a haze of brown and cc that looked horrible). The barrel, grip frame, and grips were fine, he had simply put the gun in a drawer and forgotten about it for several months. I decided I didn't care what it looked like, and I happened to have some flitz on the table, so I polished off the cc/rust from the frame, buffed off the paint on the ejector rod housing, and put on a pair of ajax faux buffalo horn grips that I had to sand heavily because they were so shiny and had mold deformation marks in a few places. I like pretty revolvers, but this is so ugly it really appeals to me for some reason. I'm ugly to, so I guess it's a "birds of a feather" thing.

I now call the Vaquero "Frank" which is short for Franken-vaquero. It shoots great, but looks like hell. The extra cylinder is a 45acp cylinder, which I got from forum member Oldyeller. It works great, and is cheaper to practice with. The ammo I carry in the woods currently is Double Tap's 335 gr 1300fps stuff. It makes my brother's 44magnum look like a pussycat. I shoot 265 gr keith style loads at 950fps out of my Mountain Gun, and reserve Frank for the bear-slaying, freight-train loads.

I'm excited to get Frank fixed up so it shoots tighter groups. I'm in line to get the throat reamer, and can't wait. It's a great woods gun. When the frame starts to discolor again, I'll flitz it again. I like the in the white look of the frame, with the blued barrel. I've also included a picture of "Frank" with my hand-axe (Betty), which also accompanies me on my woods excursions. As you can tell, I have fun in the woods. Just thought I'd share, for your amusement.

Frank1.jpg

Frank2.jpg

bigboredad

Blackhawk
having fun is what its all about IMHO. I like your freight train loads I use a similar load except I cast a 340 grain bullet and use a healthy charge of 296. You never know when you may cross paths with that rogue squirrel :lol:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
She is so pretty now you should change her name to "Fran". :D :D

(edit)...oh I almost forgot, she ain't old, just Vaquero "Fran".

...Jimbo

Hastings

Single-Sixer
bigboredad":29a3gep7 said:
You never know when you may cross paths with that rogue squirrel :lol:

I usually take my Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70 if rogue squirrels are about. With 10 rounds of 405gr hardcast pushing 1800fps, (9 in the tube and 1 in the chamber) I feel safer. Plus, I can shoot them thru trees or stone walls if necessary.

Hastings

Single-Sixer
I know, I know. I foolishly let the guy take it as a bear-hunting sidearm. Next time I'll hand him a Louisville Slugger and some bandaids. I've noticed a lot of people I know don't clean their firearms after shooting them. For me, that's part of the fun, and it helps ensure they continue to function properly.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Depends on whom you loan a gun to. I had a real good buddy who owned several guns but did not have a deer rifle. I loaned him a lever action .30-30 one deer season in Michigan and it looked "better" when he returned it than when it went out my door! Imagine the "look" on his face if you can, when I told him to put it back in the case and take it home. It was his to "keep"! I'll never forget that smile on his face! We are still great friends and today he lives in Pennsylvania...............................Dick :D

j.r. ruger guy

Bearcat
Betty sure is a big-ol-girl , ain't she ? :shock:
I think if you were walkin towards me in the woods , i would fear that hatchet more than your six-shooter . nice pics too!
Jim

Hastings

Single-Sixer
JimMarch1, you have me beat with the tube sight. If you put another tube on top of the hex sight you could store six to ten rounds in it and have a niffty ammo holder and recoil dampener.

Hastings

Single-Sixer
Maxpress:

You have shrewdly surmised the origin of my user name. I'll have to share pictures of my large battle axe and broad sword. I wish Ruger would produce a tomahawk to accompany their single action revolvers. Not period appropriate, perhaps, but they would be a nice companion on deep-woods treks. They could have the Redhawk, Blackhawk, and Warhawk. Just a thought.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I like the war hawk idea just in case that rogue squirrel catches you without out your trusty freight train chucker :wink:

maxpress

Buckeye
i got into making knives and other blades because i couldnt find "correct" or what i wanted in catalogs. have period weapons instead of pictures hanging on my walls.

checkout cold seel for hawks to go with your hawk.

Hastings

Single-Sixer
On a similar note, my brother and his wife gave my wife a home defense 410 pump shotgun with a tactical light mounted below the barrel and a spreader choke, for her birthday. Now I'm afraid to get out of bed at night to go to the bathroom or raid the fridge. I need some kevlar jammies in case I'm "mistaken" for an intruder. I think my brother hates me.