O-rings for MK II grip screws

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I've been using Ruger MK series guns since the mid 1970's. I've still got a MKI 5-1/2" bull BBl that I've put 10's of thousands of rounds through. Plus,, I've got a MKII Competition Target that has seen a lot of competition as well as 10's of thousands of rounds as well. Neither one of those guns has ever had screws loosen, nor have I over-tightened grip screws.

Now,, the SA revolver guns. With a hollow space between each panel, and the often over-tightened grip screws HAS caused broken or damaged grip panels. In those guns, I place a nylon spacer between the panels.

But the MK series,, never heard of an issue.

NikA

Buckeye
Some grips can be damaged by tightening the screws enough to prevent them from loosening under recoil. Using o-rings solves this problem.
If I had this issue, I would use blue thread locker on the screws. On a small screw like a grip screw, a soldering iron can be used to apply very localized heat to soften the threadlocker if/when removal is necessary.

If I was insistent on using o-rings to preload the grip screws, I would measure the size of the recess and buy the smallest cross section, lowest durometer o-rings with an OD close to that of the recess. It's generally not possible to get o-rings with a cross-section of less than 1mm, which seems pretty large to me in the context of preloading small screws.

I've sized o-rings for a number of hydraulic and hardware preload applications. The sizes are standard (with a couple flavors, SAE and metric at least) and the major retailers have charts with sizing info.