November 22, 1963

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ronto

Single-Sixer
Where were you when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated?
I was just out of high school operating a milling machine in a local machine shop when we got the news. Everyone was in a state of shock.

I was 13 and in the 9 th grade. My buds and I cheered, and got our A$$ reamed a new one by the principal , a former Navy man. I was confused, to say the least. All of the adults I knew were displeased that Kennedy won the election. I know better now.
gramps

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I was at work, and was relieving one of the men who worked in the retail store. One man came down the stairs and said, "Did y'all hear the news?"

Another responded with, "What? The Mississippi River burned in two at the bridge?"

Our 'phones were quiet the remainder of the day, the next day, too.

And there was just a somber, shocked atmosphere for the next three days, including the shooting of Oswald.

Bob Wright

Driving toward the college campus on my way to a class, picked up a friend off a street corner who was similarly bound, and he told me.

The instructor just said she was going home for the rest of the day and left. So did we . . . quietly.

turd

Blackhawk
I was 11 YO, 5th grade if I remember correctly. Was a small country school - no radios or TV. We didn't have a TV at home, either, so mostly got all the stories a day late from the newspaper. Different era, for sure. My dad bought a copy of the Warren Report. I tried to read it years later but couldn't get thru all the political BS. Not much has changed there......

hittman

Staff member
I was four. Everything I remember about it was from the media in later years.
I do vaguely remember Bobby getting killed though.
We lived in a very rural area and were busy running our lives, farms and a business my mom owned.

375supermag

Single-Sixer
I was in elementary school and 9 years old.
Teacher told us Kennedy had been assassinated and we would be sent home early. Don't remember the teacher's name but she seemed very upset.

I was a bit young to be politically involved but I knew who Kennedy was and I had been to enough funerals of family members to understand what death meant. Learned a lot more about politics by reading the newspapers the next few weeks.
I think that was what triggered my interest in following the news and politics. I began to read everything I could get a hold of and started to spend a lot of time reading the news magazines like Time and News and World Report in the school library. All of that triggered a lifetime interest in science and world history that continues to the present.

So, in some ways, Kennedy's assassination was a catalyst for me to transition from a unaware child to an involved member of society.

dannyd

Blackhawk
I was 13 and in the 9 th grade. My buds and I cheered, and got our A$$ reamed a new one by the principal , a former Navy man. I was confused, to say the least. All of the adults I knew were displeased that Kennedy won the election. I know better now.
gramps
Sad thing is JFK should have never been in the Navy because he couldn't pass the physical, but Big Joe purchased him one and he was in. I don't think it ever occurs to people like that because he could not pass the physical someone my die or get hurt.

Paul B

Buckeye
I was sleeping in the barracks at Osan AFB Korea when I got the word. About a half hour later I was on the fence doing guard duty on the perimeter facing north. Guess they though the Norks just might be planning something in the wake of the assassination. Thankfully nothing happened but we were a bit nervous for a few days after.
Paul B.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
I was sleeping in the barracks at Osan AFB Korea when I got the word. About a half hour later I was on the fence doing guard duty on the perimeter facing north. Guess they though the Norks just might be planning something in the wake of the assassination. Thankfully nothing happened but we were a bit nervous for a few days after.
Paul B.
I spent 67-68 on Osan AFB in the ARMY; 38th Arty Bde (AD); Hq Btry. Was there when that moron gave up the USN Pueblo to the North Koreans. He SHOULD have been Court Martialed !!

Latest posts