November 22, 1963

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
I was standing at inspection. The captain had just gotten past me when the radioman walked up to him and delivered the news.

Ride1949

Blackhawk
Freshman math class. They announced over the school's PA system. Everything went quiet. We were sent home for the day.

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
High school senior (I was 17) and in a history class. The bleeding heart liberal teacher was beside himself; school closed early.

When classes resumed the next week, Mr. Bleeding Heart asked the class what they did over the weekend. I told him I went deer hunting while helping out my grandparent's dairy farm-- he just about had apoplexy! Several others also said that carried on their normal weekend plans and work schedules.

After that, those of us who said they were not glued to the TV set and/or did not show emotion about the JFK death were persona non grata in the class and ignored.

Last edited:

Shamus2022

Bearcat
In the Army in Mannheim, Germany. It was late at night and we were all rousted out for an alert. For a while there was a presumption/fear that this was just the first move by the Russians...... and we were only an hour by (Russian) tank from the border.

antique41

Bearcat
Was stationed with the 10th CE in Kitzingen Germany just a short ride to the East German border. Went on alert. Had my M-60 in my locker and ammo stacked in the hallway.

steveodtw

Blackhawk
I was just out of High School working as Christmas help at a large Department Store stockroom. That Saturday I went to U of M to see my girlfriend and go to the football game. I thing that was the only UM game that was ever canceled. It was a very somber day, and I never saw her again.

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
Was 4 and in front of TV. Can't remember if watching it live or after the fact. Was watching a kids program that cut off for it. Couldn't grasp the impact but knew it was something bad.

KIR

Blackhawk
I just got off a 24 hour shift from a missile site when we loaded up onto a bus for an hour's drive back to base. The radio was on and it was announced that Kennedy had been shot. When we got back to base we watched the news until Kennedy had died. The base was already on alert and contrary to news reports were that way for forty days/nights working 12 hour shifts. It was a sad time for the whole country.

40nascar

Single-Sixer
Was 4 and in front of TV. Can't remember if watching it live or after the fact. Was watching a kids program that cut off for it. Couldn't grasp the impact but knew it was something bad.

Yep, me too. You know something is off when Captain Kangaroo gets interrupted by Walter Cronkite. That, and Mom was weeping.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
As they say, everyone remembers where they were. I was in the second grade at recess and hanging upside down on the monkey bars when Mrs. Yoder told us what happened. They released school early and I ran the two blocks to my Granny's house. I sat on the couch and watched the TV coverage all weekend. I also remember everyone going in the gym to watch the funeral on a little B+W TV and there not being a word spoken.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I was 3. I really can’t recall anything about it. I’m 62 and it would seem like I am the youngster in the room.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I was a 18yo E-3 Marine stationed at NAS Millington, TN learning how to maintain a variety of aircraft systems (Navy/Marine Aviation). We all immediately thought we'd be going to war with the USSR when the Chief called us all out of class and announced it, and dismissed us with orders to return to barracks and stand by for future instructions from our chain of command. We had a single B/W TV in our barracks and some guys had radios, but that was pretty much it for comm/news. No digital anything. A month later I was at MCAS El Toro.

And in Nov of 1963 you could count the number of satellites on the fingers of one hand. The US, UK, & Canada each had one in orbit, and the USSR had 2 Sputniks up. Welcome to the Space Race.

Where will we go from here, I wonder?:unsure:

Latest posts