new to pistoles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

island18

Bearcat
After years of revolvers and because I'm not familiar with pistoles, decided to switch to one with external safety because when I pressed the trigger of Glocks and Walther PPS,the soft trigger makes me nervous.
I'm between two pistoles, the sr9c or the Bersa Thunder UC both in 9mm.
My heart is with Bersa because I'm from Argentina too, but I'm a Ruger person and my carry now is the SP101 .357.
Going to a big gun show this Saturday and I will make a choice.
My question is.... if I go with the SR9C I can clean the gun, but after reading the post in this forum, there is the need to clean the needles tunnel( don't remember what is called) IN order to avoid light strikes, and I don't know if I'm up to this.
Since is my first pistole, will be better if I take the gun and have it done by a gunsmith?
Thanks.

tdyoung58

Bearcat
Both are good guns that seem to have solid reputations, yes the SR9c does outside here.

Most of the stuff we hear about Ruger guns on this forum are bitches and questions.... outside it not so much. And with aqs many as Ruger makes and as few as we hear about here... not thinking that's a bad thing

I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
You could go that way (smith), and perhaps you could find one that would spend some time and "train you" how to preform the task correctly. Otherwise you can find a pistol that is not as 'sensitive' as the SR9c.
I assume (by the two that you mentioned) you are looking to CCW?

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
Well, first off my (hope the wife dont hear i called it mine) SR9C has over 500 rds thru it with zero problems & i have'nt even cleaned it yet 8)
The Bersa is OK but IMO not the gun the Ruger is--
I understand the safty thing--------
Thats a big reason i have a SR9 & the wifes has her SR9C :roll:
Either way you'll be fine picking the one that feels right to YOU :wink:

ruger_fan

Bearcat
Definitely hold both in your hands to see which is more natural feeling.

FWIW, I actually sold a Bersa Thunder .380 to help fund the SR9c purchase.

Only had the Bersa about a year (it was a gift). Always planned on upgrading, and went to a lot of shows to find what felt best. Loved the SR9, but never got around to purchasing it. When the SR9c was announced, I picked it up immediately for CCW and HD.

The Bersa 380 trigger hits my index finger near the tip of the index finger pad. The SR9c trigger reach, while still on the index finger pad, is nearer the first knuckle.

And, FWIW, my Dad has a Kimber Ultra Carry II, which dimension wise is almost exactly the same as the SR9c (but 3x the cost), and the trigger reach for me was even worse than the Bersa.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ruger_fan":1bzqwdvb said:
Definitely hold both in your hands to see which is more natural feeling.

FWIW, I actually sold a Bersa Thunder .380 to help fund the SR9c purchase.

Only had the Bersa about a year (it was a gift). Always planned on upgrading, and went to a lot of shows to find what felt best. Loved the SR9, but never got around to purchasing it. When the SR9c was announced, I picked it up immediately for CCW and HD.

The Bersa 380 trigger hits my index finger near the tip of the index finger pad. The SR9c trigger reach, while still on the index finger pad, is nearer the first knuckle.

And, FWIW, my Dad has a Kimber Ultra Carry II, which dimension wise is almost exactly the same as the SR9c (but 3x the cost), and the trigger reach for me was even worse than the Bersa.

You must have really small hands. 1911s certainly aren't known for a long reach.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
cleaning the striker channel is super easy.... if you can field strip the gun.... you can pull the striker out and clean it and the channel

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
2fast4u":34hfu28f said:
cleaning the striker channel is super easy.... if you can field strip the gun.... you can pull the striker out and clean it and the channel

True. I think I read instructions for it somewhere on here. I inspect my striker regularly because people who want to look at it, dry fire it after being told not to (I quit letting people look at it now).