New to me Ruger Blackhawk 41Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smbob

Bearcat
My new to me 4 5/8" 41Mag Blackhawk with a Hogue pau ferro finger groove grip.

Robert

002-5.jpg

That grip looks huge. Is it a left handed finger grip? It really doesn't look very comfortable at all. Can I see a picture of the other side? I might be wrong about it being comfortable.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Do you reload since it's a .41? That caliber is on my short list.

smbob

Bearcat
Kevin said:
That grip looks huge. Is it a left handed finger grip? It really doesn't look very comfortable at all. Can I see a picture of the other side? I might be wrong about it being comfortable.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Do you reload since it's a .41? That caliber is on my short list.

Thanks for the welcome! The grip is a standard Hogue finger groove grip.
It is extremely comfortable for me. I have big hands and the factory grips just
aren't comfortable for me at all. Too small. Yes I reload for the 41Mag. I have
a 6.5" Blackhawk and a Marlin 1894S in 41Mag as well.
I got the Marlin a few years ago. All 41Mag ammo I have ever shot in
my guns has been my reloads. I started with my Marlin and developed
some hot & accurate jacketed loads. When I got my 6.5" Blackhawk I
tried them out and they were way too hot for me in the handgun. I
recently got some 215gr cast lead bullets from Missouri Bullets that I
almost have dialed in with Unique and 2400. The cast loads are real comfortable
to shoot and pretty inexpensive to load. I reall like the 41Mag.
It's a great cartridge and the Blackhawks are great revolvers too!

Robert

caryc

Hawkeye
Well, it's your gun and you're the one who shoots it so if it works for you, that's all that counts. But, I have to say you won't find very many people enthused over those grips on a single action around here.

It's a beautiful gun but those grips look like they're trying to devour it.

smbob

Bearcat
caryc said:
Well, it's your gun and you're the one who shoots it so if it works for you, that's all that counts. But, I have to say you won't find very many people enthused over those grips on a single action around here.

Great. So I guess you pretty much have a pulse on things around here.
That's fine. You won't have to worry about me posting here anymore.
Have a nice day.

Robert

caryc

Hawkeye
smbob said:
caryc said:

Have a nice day.

Robert

Robert,

I'm sorry you took what I said the wrong way. There are a lot of single action shooters here that believe the traditional plow handle type grips work best on the single actions. It lets the gun roll up in the hand as it was designed to due on the guns with a high recoil.

I did say that if those grips work for you and you are fine with them than that is all that counts. But don't expect me to like them. They just spoil the lines of a nice single action weapon.

People shoot or carry a weapon for different reasons. If I had to depend on a single action to protect my life and I could only be accurate with it with larger grips like that on it, you can bet that I would have those grips on it.

Don't take it so hard. Grips on any gun are strictly a personal choice thing. I hope you decide to stick around. There are some good people here with a lot of knowledge if you have any questions.

mraywi

Single-Sixer
caryc said:
smbob said:
caryc said:

Have a nice day.

Robert

Robert,

I'm sorry you took what I said the wrong way. There are a lot of single action shooters here that believe the traditional plow handle type grips work best on the single actions. It lets the gun roll up in the hand as it was designed to due on the guns with a high recoil.

I did say that if those grips work for you and you are fine with them than that is all that counts. But don't expect me to like them. They just spoil the lines of a nice single action weapon.

People shoot or carry a weapon for different reasons. If I had to depend on a single action to protect my life and I could only be accurate with it with larger grips like that on it, you can bet that I would have those grips on it.

Don't take it so hard. Grips on any gun are strictly a personal choice thing. I hope you decide to stick around. There are some good people here with a lot of knowledge if you have any questions.
Cary,sometimes I feel embarrassed for you...

smbob

Bearcat
mraywi said:
caryc said:
smbob said:
Have a nice day.

Robert

Robert,

Cary,sometimes I feel embarrassed for you...

caryc,
I have been shooting for about 45 years now. My Father was a gunsmith.
I have worked on firearms for a long time. I'm not some newb. I also understand the mindset of the purists, especially when it comes to single action revolvers. I would never insult anyone that decided to leave the
Plowhandle grips on their single action. Obviously it works for them and
that's great. If you posted on one of the many forums that I post on regularly I would never say anything derogatory about your firearm
and how you have it setup to suit your needs. It's really a personal thing and I would respect that. I'm aware of the fact that because I prefer Hogue finger groove grips to the traditional it puts me in a very small minority. That's OK though. I just find it kind of odd that one one hand
you say: "I did say that if those grips work for you and you are fine with them than that is all that counts." But then you follow up with: "But don't expect me to like them. They just spoil the lines of a nice single action weapon." I don't recall ever saying that you or anyone else had to like them. Like I said earlier, Have a nice day.

Robert

caryc

Hawkeye
This is a forum and you're going to get personal opinions here. I don't see how this It's a beautiful gun but those grips look like they're trying to devour it. is an insult to you. It's an insult to the grips.

Some people don't care for some of the more highly figured grips that I make, like the spalted maple grips. That doesn't upset me. I know there are traditional walnut and blue steel people out there.

If you can't take me saying I don't like those grips then maybe you're a little too thin skinned as people tell me sometimes. I'm a grip maker. I make traditional style grips and I just don't like those.

Is that an insult to you because I don't like those grips?

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
That's one cool purple frame! I thought it was an Old Model for a split second. Grips are personal thing for feel and aesthetics. Mr. smbob gets extra credit for having Hogue exotic wood grips instead of Hogue rubber grips.

BRL

Single-Sixer
smbob said:
My new to me 4 5/8" 41Mag Blackhawk with a Hogue pau ferro finger groove grip.

My first handgun was a 6 1/2" NM Blackhawk in .41 Mag.
Excellent caliber IMHO.

Enjoy your blaster! :D

Knuckles

Buckeye
As soon as I seen the gun... I knew not far down the thread I would see the cLc insult ..................... Checkered Grips are Better! :p

BigJ71

Single-Sixer
I don't see a problem with what Cary said....The gun was posted on a public forum therefore is subject to others "opinion" of it....that's why it was posted no?

If I post a picture of a gun, it's like saying "look at my gun". If people look, it's only normal they might provide feedback, either positive or negative depending on what the person's taste is.

If you aren't prepared for negative opinions, then don't post the picture.....

That being said, with all due respect, I love the gun but the grips are not for me....They look too big for the gun and in my "opinion" throw off the natural balance (aesthetically) of the gun.

Knuckles

Buckeye
The whole picture was bad, the lighting, the background, the angle,... but the the gun was a nice shooter, it had big fat nicely-grained wood grips... and last thing anyone needs to do is pick someone apart who wants to join in on the fun.

Maybe the guy can post a pic' of himself... that way some of you folks can give your complete opinion of the OP's crummy existence.

He did NOT ask for opinions... he simply posted a pic and said with pride here's my new Blackhawk 41mag.

Just because you think someone is ugly, do some of you actually feel the need to tell the person to there face?............ that's Twisted and SICK! :?

... and furthermore, I personally have had enough of GRIPS! being the catalyst and excuse for rude discussion.

Respectfully, Mr. Bud-e-knuckles 8)

caryc

Hawkeye
knuckles said:
The whole picture was bad, the lighting, the background, the angle,... but the the gun was a nice shooter, it had big fat nicely-grained wood grips... and last thing anyone needs to do is pick someone apart who wants to join in on the fun.

Maybe the guy can post a pic' of himself... that way some of you folks can give your complete opinion of the OP's crummy existence.

He did NOT ask for opinions... he simply posted a pic and said with pride here's my new Blackhawk 41mag.

Just because you think someone is ugly, do some of you actually feel the need to tell the person to there face?............ that's Twisted and SICK! :?

... and furthermore, I personally have had enough of GRIPS! being the catalyst and excuse for rude discussion.

Have you not heard the expression "rubber baby buggy bumpers"? That surely is not a compliment. I seem to remember that phrase being used by some rather prominent people here on this forum.

Twisted and Sick? Man you need to take a pill and calm down. For something that doesn't even concern you, you seem pretty upset. Maybe you sold him those grips?

BigJ71

Single-Sixer
knuckles said:

Knuckles-

I guess I just see it different than you. I was not trying to be mean, just giving my opinion. I guess I could have kept it to myself but isn't this forum about discussing and exchanging ideas?? I'm sure I have some guns that I've set up in a way that not everyone would care for but I certainly wouldn't get upset if someone here posted that he/she didn't like what I did.

Again, I guess I just see it different than you, no problem and no need to get worked up...it's all good.

Knuckles

Buckeye
BigJ71 said:
knuckles said:

Knuckles-

I guess I just see it different than you. I was not trying to be mean, just giving my opinion. I guess I could have kept it to myself but isn't this forum about discussing and exchanging ideas?? I'm sure I have some guns that I've set up in a way that not everyone would care for but I certainly wouldn't get upset if someone here posted that he/she didn't like what I did.

Again, I guess I just see it different than you, no problem and no need to get worked up...it's all good.

BigJ71... It was only about you sticking up for CaryC.

I've never understood how or WHY! a "fine grip maker" like cLc would start crap with his own potential customers... I don't know maybe you have more money than than manors and brains... but it never ceases to amaze me what comes out of your pie-hole CaryC.

Right out of the blue you give one of those typical "that's it I am out of here for good "farewell' cruel wold" speeches, as we all sit in bewilderment as to what in the world you're talking about.
A bunch of us members tell you "it's OK buddy/Pal please stay don't go away mad."

Then you start pulling the same old crap that gets you mad and makes you pack up your name and with fanfare head for the forum door again.

I'm not speaking out of anger... and I've given you the benefit of a doubt, but I'm glad I never gave you my business CaryC... you haven't earned it yet!

Quit insulting and running off the newcomers over stupid grips!... PLEASE!!

Bud (knuckles) 8)

Latest posts