New to me Mark 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
Just purchased a new to me Mark I, was looking for a Mark II but, this one was in too good of condition to pass up.

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice bull barreled MKI ! I have a couple of those like that!
I think the box it's laying on may not be the original one.

street

Hunter
contender said:
Nice bull barreled MKI ! I have a couple of those like that!
I think the box it's laying on may not be the original one.
Contender that yellow and black hinged box could be the correct box if the serial number is after 16-39926

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
Serial number on gun shows 1981 manufacturing. Not the best picture flash kind of washed out image.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'll readily admit I'm not as up to date on the boxes for the later years. But I was thinking the yellow boxes like that didn't appear until the mid 1980's. And I knew the MKI's ended in 1981. So, if your gun was produced in 1981, and they had started the yellow hinged lid boxes by then, I was wrong. That's why I said I MAY be wrong. Once again, I was!

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I'll readily admit I'm not as up to date on the boxes for the later years. But I was thinking the yellow boxes like that didn't appear until the mid 1980's. And I knew the MKI's ended in 1981. So, if your gun was produced in 1981, and they had started the yellow hinged lid boxes by then, I was wrong. That's why I said I MAY be wrong. Once again, I was!
No problem, had Ruger guns for a long time. One thing I have figured, out is as soon as I think I know something about them, I find an example of the factory proving me wrong again.

street

Hunter
y2k-fxst said:
Serial number on gun shows 1981 manufacturing. Not the best picture flash kind of washed out image.
RENE list serial numbers for 1981 from 16-82937 to 17-05001. This puts the serial numbers after 16-39926 in which RENE states that the Yellow hinged box was used. So if your gun was shipped in 1981 it should have the yellow hinged box.

Dregg

Single-Sixer
Congrats on the gun purchase. Anytime you make an addition to the safe, it's always a good one. Now go out there and shoot that bugger.

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
No problem shooting it, went out Sunday put a bunch of rounds through it. Looks like it should be a squirrel killer like my old Mark II was.

Bearcat
My son bought a set of vintage Fitz ambidextrous grips thinking they were for a S&W 52. Not so, these grips are for a Ruger Mark 1 pistol. Paid $50 plus $5.80 shipping. If interested I can give the grips to you for $45.00 shipped. No cracks, chips or repairs. can send picture to your email if any interest. Note: these grips allow for both right handed and left handed shooting.

[email protected]

gtxmonte

Buckeye
contender said:
I have a NIB Mark I that is unfired. It is in the yellow box. Bought it myself my senior year of high school, which was 81

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted, I was wrong on the date of the box changes. (BTW; I recently had & sold a RST-6 LNIB that was in the yellow & black box as well.)