New SR9 creating double tap issue!!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cvctiger

Bearcat
I just got this and ran only 40 rounds through it if that. At first I thought it just needed to break in but it kept on doing this at first with 3 rounds, 2, and then 1. After every other round it created a light strike on the following round leaving it in the chamber and trigger would not reset, until I pulled the slide back to reset. Then I asked the range master and he too encountered this issue along with a jam where he could pull the slide back. Range master pointed out also that the Ejector pin se seemed to be a little more exposed that it was supposed to be. All I did when I got the gun new was field strip and clean and lubed all parts and bring it to the range. This is a NEW gun ERGH!!!! Recommended by the place I bought it from is to call and send back to Ruger for repair under warranty.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Did you clean the striker channel? Mine had grit and factory grime in it out of the box. The ejector is at the top of the assembly when a magazine is inserted. What is "a little more exposed"? Sounds like your striker is not striking, which, of course, will not reset your trigger during the recoil cycle because there is no recoil cycle. The jam that you couldn't clear, you cleared it, right? What happened? Live round/spent round collision? Strange angle entry of the follow-up round? Failure to extract the spent round?

cvctiger

Bearcat
Right from the LGS I took apart the slide down to the striker channel and cleaned EVERY nook and cranny, and lubed everything to spec.

Ok here it what happened to me, my friend, and the range master (also suffered jam where he took it away from the firing lanes to clear)

Loaded the gun with 2 rounds in the mag
First shot- Fires fine-spent cartridge ejects-trigger stays in fired position-second cartridge in chamber.....I pull slide back to reset trigger and eject unspent cartridge.....look at back of cartridge and see light strike in back of cartridge...

cvctiger

Bearcat
Ok I don't know if I cleared up the issue. I field stripped the slide and removed the rear striker cover and noticed that "I" installed the plastic spring cup of the striker pin with the flat side up instead of down. So I cleaned and lubed and reinstalled everything. Could that REALLY cause such a failure? Does anyone know? Hopefully tomorrow I can go back and test and see if that was the issue. Sorry guys ahead of time if I wasted your time.

cvctiger

Bearcat
I am new owner of the gun and I don't doubt your statement of maybe trying different ammo.....I just doubt that it could be ammo issue, because of the symptoms I am having but doesn't hurt to try a few rounds of another brand. I also used the ammo in my friends CZ 75 and in that gun just is buttery smooth with that ammo no FTFs at all and his gun was new as well and fired great out of the box after initial cleaning. He fired 50 rounds with no hiccups.... compared to mine suffering from FTFs every other round.

weedfarmer

Bearcat
Had the same problem with my S&W 686 but found out it was just cheap ammo.Never had a problem with my SR9

MikeyLikeCarbonFiber

Single-Sixer
I went shooting yesterday with a guy who had a brand new just out of the box AR and an AR that was a few years old. His brand new AR kept jamming steel jacket rounds while his older AR ran them perfect.

I'm not saying the ammo is your problem just the easiest thing to swap out and check. Good luck and keep us posted.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
The logical question is did the striker dent the primer or leave a light strike. Love my SR9, but never have to worry about denting a primer with the big hammer on my S&W 639. The only striker issue I ever had was the odd scuff left on the primer of my 9VE after breaking the striker.. The factory fixed that up.

cvctiger

Bearcat
It was a light primer strike when the cartridge gets loaded into chamber and the trigger doesn't reset after the previous cartridge being fired.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Try it since you reassembled the striker? This sucks. I shoot the SR9 exclusively these days and more than a few friends and people I don't know at the range I belong to shoot SR9 and 40 and their "c" compacts. Light primer strikes haven't been an issue at all. Mild peening and sight drifting, but I haven't experienced a light primer strike in all the boxes of ammo I've put through my SR9 and haven't heard of any from range members. They love the gun, like me. Hopefully the striker works after reassembling it, if nor Ruger will set it right free of charge.

cvctiger

Bearcat
I called Ruger this morning and described the situation and with this type of frequent FTF I felt better that they let me send it in...better safe than sorry especially with firearms. They told me current turnaround 7-10 business days and sent me a label to ship overnight. Hope when I get it back I can shoot to my heart's content.

cvctiger

Bearcat
Got it back last Friday went to range Sat and fired 50 rounds of UMC and 50 rounds of Blazer, no issues.......Ruger replaced the trigger reset and the striker assembly and fired it with 40 rounds of Black Hills ammo, said it might have been magazine issues, and sent back to me within a week with a Ruger cleaning cloth. I fired it Sat no issues at all with mags or gun. Success and another happy Ruger owner on board!

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Glad to hear that everything is better. I recommend this frequently, be sure and write/call Ruger and tell them how happy you are with their service. A positive stroke/feedback can go a long ways.

Latest posts