NEW SR22 Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JasonH

Bearcat
Ok, so I went to a gunshow this morning and to my surprise three different dealers had SR22 pistols on the table. It is a nice gun! They were sitting side by side with the Walthers, and I've got to say I prefer the Ruger. It appeared to me that the Ruger is just slightly larger than the Walther, but not by much. It feels great in the hand, and the sights are excellent. One thing that bothered me is the magazine release button. On two of the pistols, the release button operated with just the right amount of resistance, however on the third one the button was very loose, and just slid back and forth in the housing. It almost felt broken to me compared to the other two. I hope this isn't a sign that Ruger is going to have problems with this nice little pistol. I guess time will tell. For now I am impressed, and I plan to buy one as soon as the funds are available.

Darkwolf

Bearcat
I went out and put about 300 rounds through the SR22 PISTOL (lol). I really wasn't in the mood to fool around with a bunch of different brands/types of ammo, so I just took a box of bulk Federal with me. Just about every magazine up to the 200 round mark had a feed failure...casing ejected, but it failed to strip another round off the magazine. I also had several extraction failures and a couple failed to fire. Both failures to fire went off after rotating the casing and hitting it again.

I went out and bought a box of Fiochi from the shop at the range and all 50 of those fired, extracted and fed just fine...sooo I have to point my finger at the Federal bulk fodder. I also bought a box Fiochi sub-sonic rounds...the proprieter laughed at me and said they wouldn't cycle the gun. He was wrong, they worked perfectly fine, just felt a bit weak.

As the round count got higher the Federal seemed to have fewer problems, but still would fail to feed at least 1 out of every 3 mags.

Accuracy was accpetable, but there is a lot of overtravel after the sear releases so longer range shots opened up a bit. Offhand I could keep shots at 10 yards inside 2 inches pretty easily with the Fiochi (Federal wan't as good) but at 25 yards 4 inches was about the best I could count on. Had some 5 shot groups that were much smaller, but it didn't seem consistent. May have been me, may have been the gun, not sure yet.

I have to say that I don't like the magazine design...too easy to get a round that spins around ending up backwards and then can a little frustrating to get it back out.

Have to say that the SR22P is on my good side for the momment (not on the great list yet). It is lighter than most other .22 pistols I have experience with so it would be really nice to pack around, but I can't wring the accuracy out of it that I expect out of some other .22 pistols (Mk or SW M17 are my favorites). However given the price I paid for it that would be asking a bit, and at least with the SR22 I really wouldn't be upset if it showed some wear and tear.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Darkwolf said:
I went out and bought a box of Fiochi from the shop at the range and all 50 of those fired, extracted and fed just fine...sooo I have to point my finger at the Federal bulk fodder.

Darkwolf said:
I can't wring the accuracy out of it that I expect out of some other .22 pistols (Mk or SW M17 are my favorites).

NO !!! You mean to tell me that AMMO could actually have an effect on the functioning of a semi-auto pistol ??? That will come as a shocking surprise to some here ..... :roll:

Regarding your second point ... to be expected.

REV