New SP101 (pics) Advice on cleaning up rough spots?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Charlie U.

Bearcat
This NIB 3" .357 is my first SP.
NewSP101Jan2014013.jpg

The fit & finish of this piece is not exactly what I would have hoped for in a new Ruger.....Certainly not as nice as my Super Redhawk was right out of the box.
The SP101 has some rough/sharp edges that I think I can touch up easily enough, but it also has a couple of rough spots that need more attention. Hopefully you can advise me on how best to clean those up.

By way of comparison, here is the new SP101 next to my 480SRH. (The large and small end of the Ruger double action spectrum)
Jan4th2014008.jpg

1) The first issue I would like your advice on is the opening around the cylinder release pivot screw. This area has some tool marks, is very uneven, and when they threaded the hole they left with some rather sharp burr edges that snag fingers and clothing. How should I go about reshaping/cleaning up that edge?
NewSP101Jan2014006.jpg

2) The most significant issue is the rough part of the frame at the rear of the cylinder. It touches the cylinder slightly as you swing the crane arm out. Not enough to prevent the gun from functioning, but enough that you can feel a slight bit of resistance. Because of this contact point the cylinder needs to be pushed all the way open during reloading.....it won't drop open smoothly on it's own. This could have an affect on reloading consistently, which is not a desirable thing in a gun intended for concealed carry. What would be the best tool for smoothing this out?

as you can see in this last pic, the finish work of the frame at the bottom lower part of the cylinder opening was left particularly rough.

3) Sharp burr edge all around the outer lip of the forcing cone. Not a cosmetic issue, but getting rid of that will make a big difference whenever I'm cleaning the gun.

I'm no gunsmith but would like to try my hand at cleaning this gun up myself. Advice for a rookie from experienced gun guys would be very helpful. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Very careful work with a set of needle files will take the rough edges off and the finish can be blended using Scotch Brite pads. I would use the gray or brown ones. You can always go courser (green) if it don`t look just right.
Another trick I use is to buy cosmetic fingernail boards,cheap ones at the dollar store and cut them into strips to get into tight spots to be burr those areas.
All in all I think it is a fine looking gun. Enjoy!