New SP101 Owner - Happy but .357 hurts!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fmcgraw

Bearcat
I bought my 3" SP101 a few weeks ago after debating between it and various S&W models. I'm very happy with its accuracy and find it extremely manageable with .38, .38+P and Blazer .357 rounds. I liked the factory grips but put Trausch grips on and find they are a much fuller fit in my hand. I put my first full .357 through it today (Federal American Eagle 158gr JSP) and wow. 10 shots and my hand was sore with a large slice of skin missing from the webbing behind my thumb. I knew this would kick more than my New Vaquero since the barrel is 3" shorter, but how do you guys fire .357 rounds from such short barreled revolvers? I'm going to try again with my GripSwell gloves, I'm sure they will cut some of the pain, but I imagine I'll be sticking to .38 loads most of the time.

Have a great weekend!

johnnymustang

Bearcat
Knock on wood, but I've never had issues with 357 and my 3" sp101. Factory grips and no problems. I'd say I have small hands, maybe that is why.

Gripping with both hands or only one hand???

Mandan

Bearcat
fmcgraw.
You really should not be shooting a firearm that hurts you. I am a compassionate person so I would be willing to accept the pain you are experiencing. Please feel free to stop your pain and transfer it unto me!
Dan

fmcgraw

Bearcat
I am using a high two handed grip but will be experimenting in future sessions. A slightly lower grip and gloves will probably help as I get used to it. Certainly wouldn't trade it at this point, sorry Mandan :)

Flint Ridge, if you're comfortable with the LCR I have no doubt the 101 would be even easier on your hands. I'm just coming from the other direction with a much longer barreled Vaquero.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Hmmm, sharp edge on it maybe that bites you under recoil?
One of my fishing, hunting buddies has the 3" Sp101 and we've shot it with lots of .357 ammo includign 180 grain hard cast hunting loads and it shoot gerat. Accurate and eary to shoot. Never felt like it was too much recoil.

Probably a bit to do with your hand, hold, mechanics as well.

RevolverFanatic

Bearcat
ehm, I have to ask this question, because to me it is obvious. What did you expect from a 3" barrelled revolver that only weighs 27 ounces?

Just my opinion but, I would never buy any "lightweight" gun chambered for a magnum cartridge.

You should have gone for the S&W 686 4", if you wanted a DA.

Merlinspop

Bearcat
A little time with a strip of fine sandpaper across sharp edges won't hurt anything and will take some of the teeth out of the bite. You can always polish out any marks if the offend you.

Park the back of the grip firmly into your palm, don't be afraid of crushing the grip, but try to anyway. When you pull the trigger, pull it all the way through in one smooth motion.

After my first box of 158s my trigger finger was a bloody mess, my arm ached for two days, and I began wondering if I made a mistake. After lots of 110s, 125s and more 158s, I love it. I don't usually shoot more that 25 rounds at a sitting, though. That's what my GP is for.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
When I first purchased my SP101, I had recently had hand surgery. I shot 38's out of it for a while without trouble; but the 357 rounds caused me pain because I was still healing from the surgery. I put the Hogue grips on it that are available through the Ruger website and did not have any more issues.
If they can tame the recoil for someone that is healing from surgery, I bet they will work for you as well.
http://shopruger.com/SP101-Rubber-Monogrip/productinfo/84138/

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
I was under the impression that one should hold a DA revolver as high and tight in the backstrap as possible. The line of thought here is that if one's hand is tight against the backstrap then it will not "rotate" under recoil and slap the shooter's thumb webbing. It is similar to making sure a shotgun, especially with 3.5" super magnums, is firmly planted against the shoulder. Otherwise, as we all know, the shotgun will fly back into the shoulder greatly increasing the potential for soreness and/or bruising. So I wonder if fmc's grip is giving the backstrap room to move before hitting his thumb webbing?

I too will give the Hogue's a recommendation. My Super Redhawk comes with them standard and after 50 rounds of 44 Magnum, I feel no different than if I was shooting my 22/45.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Donaldjr1969 has an excellent point about how to grip a DA revolver.
Have you talked to a firearm instructor versed in DA revolvers? Attended any revolver competitions to see HOW they grip their firearms?
It MAY be an improper gripping that is giving you issues. Another thing,, changing grips is an excellent thing,, and you swapped out the factory ones for Traush grips. I have a pair of Traush grips myself,, and I also have several other grips for our SP's around here. You have to find what fits YOUR hand the best & start with that.
I have shot several hundred rounds of 357 mag ammo through our SP's and haven't had skin torn or whatever with mine.
A proper grip,, stance,, along with a correctly fitting set of grip panels will go a long way to helping you be a better (And more comfortable) shooter.

fmcgraw

Bearcat
Thanks all, I appreciate all the thoughts and advice. For me I think practice, some increased hand strength and ultimately some professional instruction may help.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You don't have to shoot 357 magnums. Try some 38's and 38+P's and get used to the gun. Make sure there are no sharp edges around the trigger and trigger guard. Some 400 grit sandpaper or a stone works well to get rid of the sharp edges. The Hogue rubber grip really handles recoil well with the SP. Those Federal cartridges are pretty snappy, try some MagTech 357 magnums, much softer. :D

...Jimbo

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Wow 10 shots is not many to get blistered there. I have had it happen with 75-100 shots through my 5 1/2" Redhawk but never that quickly. I shoot best when relaxing completely with a loose hold...maybe one reason i draw the line at 44 magnum. So maybe going to a lighter bullet and not quite full power loads is best in the SP at least for practice??? In the heat of the moment under duress, I would think ones mind would be occupied with thoughts other than painful recoil so I would stick with full power loads for carry.

MidLife

Single-Sixer
Try the Remington Golden Saber 125gr SJHP 357 magnum round for about 50 rounds, then, move up to the hotter loads. Despite the Golden Saber being a 125gr, it is actually a lower velocity round that has recoil of a 38 +P. This round is very comfortable in the SP101. Expensive, but, use two boxes to "break in" your SP101. I shoot the 158gr JHP Winchester rounds in mine and got used to it over two range trips and about 55 rounds. :D

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Only torn skin I had shooting 357 magnums from the SP101 were related to he edges on the trigger and trigger guard. Smooth those out. You may also want to invest in shooting gloves.

I use a shooting glove with my 44 magnum and it made a world of differnece.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Some guys say the stock grips are fine for shooting full magnum ammo but those guys are tougher than me. I tried some .357s and went right out and bought the rubber Hogue Monogrip. Now I shoot pretty much any ammo in comfort. See?: :)

patmuzzleflash640x380.jpg