New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Hunter
Done been there, done done that, done posted that about six posts up from your post :wink: :mrgreen:

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:33 pm
hpman66 said:
butcherboy1985 said:
The screws were not flatheads but hex screws I believe. Like the ones they use on scopes

Don't get torqued off, maybe they're Torx screws? T-15 Torx screws to be exact. :wink:
LINK:
https://americanhandgunner.com/handguns/rugers-wrangler/

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:35 pm
T.A. WORKMAN said:
Our own Jeff "TANK" Hoover evaluates the new Wrangler.
Terry

https://americanhandgunner.com/handguns/rugers-wrangler/

louiethelump

Buckeye
I am going to leave the hammer spring alone. There is another difference that I have not seen anyone mention. The firing pin on the Wrangler goes in from the rear with a split nut holding it instead of from the front with a pinned in bushing like a single six. I don't know if that required more hammer fall, of if they just wanted to be sure with a gun that gets no fitting if parts by having a hammer with enough power to override any burrs or roughness. I did not notice an over powered firing pin strike on the ammo I shot in mine. No misfires but no appearance of too much. I ended up taking the main spring assembly apart and having to put the larger and longer spring back on the strut that it the same size as a Single Six. It required a vice, leather gloves and pliers. Better to have too much spring than too little.

One of the first thing I did when I got this gun was try my 22 magnum stainless cylinder from my 4" fixed sight Single Six. It dropped right into place in the frame window, but would not work. The ratchets are dramatically different. The blue cylinder from the Wrangler would not go into the frame window of the stainless SS. I left them alone and put them back where they belong.

When I had the grip frame off of the Wrangler, I noticed there are new and different internal parts. The hammer pivot pin is either ended and can go in either way and was very loose in the hole and hammer and kept falling out. The pin that holds the other parts in the Wrangler action is different and there are other parts in there that I left alone and just changed the grip frame and went on. Time for all that later.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I just ordered a black one from GrabAGun. They just got more in. Holding off on a bronze. They had black and bronze in stock at $199.00 plus $8 shipping. The aluminum frame will go on the black and the original silver frame back where it started. The black will become the light weight carry one. It should weigh the same as the silver which is 4.3 Oz lighter per Postal scale. Enough to feel the difference.

57springer

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Well, at least these are essentially hidden by being sunk down in those deep holes in the grip frame . . . except for that one at the front.

57springer, is that front one a flathead with the Torx socket?
It is a torx . I just took a second look there are 5 torx screws on the wrangler . look at the pics a post or two ago , easy to see . Better than I can explain ! :lol: Thanks !

57springer said:
Ale-8(1) said:
Well, at least these are essentially hidden by being sunk down in those deep holes in the grip frame . . . except for that one at the front.

57springer, is that front one a flathead with the Torx socket?

It is a torx . I just took a second look there are 5 torx screws on the wrangler . look at the pics a post or two ago , easy to see . Better than I can explain ! :lol: Thanks !

Saw the nice pics. Just didn't see that front bottom screw. Thanks.

:)

57springer

Buckeye
I am wondering what else Ruger has in the works . Think about this , the The Ruger American has replaced the Hawkeye. The Wrangler will probably replace the single six , so my question is, is there a $300 dollar Blackhawk in the pipeline ??? hmmmmm

57springer said:
The Wrangler will probably replace the single six . . .

Man, that is the $64,000 question, isn't it? Is the market ready to abandon the superb blued-steel-frame traditional Single-Six for the "economical" Wrangler or will they each satisfy a particular niche in the scheme of things? Makes me considerably uneasy.

:shock: :? :? :? :shock:

louiethelump

Buckeye
Just opinion here, but I would not think a company as smart and successful as Ruger would just drop a line like the Single Six.

Could they maybe incorporate some of the cost saving features of the Wrangler into the single six line to keep costs down? Judging by the negative feedback I have seen here to the economy features of a gun they have come right out and said is the economy model, I am not thinking that incorporating MIM parts or die cast parts into a Single Six would go over very well. I have to say however, that the die cast zinc alloy grip frame that I took off the Wrangler yesterday is the smoothest, best looking (inside and out) grip frame I have ever seen. If they could get that mold seam off of the middle of the grip frame, I would not have a problem with them on the regular line of guns. If they created a birdshead line of aftermarket frames that would be an after market purchase accessory in a couple of basic colors and would not have to be fitted and finished and would cost 40-50 dollars ready to go, ALL my single action Rugers would be wearing birdshead grips.

There are lots of things they could do and the die cast grip frame, where light weight is not an issue is a winner appearance wise. I was not a fan until I saw how well they did it.

I want short barrel birdshead Wranglers that will really fit into a pocket, with 3" barrels. I want a Sheriff model with an easy to pull center pin, no ejector rod or housing, and a ten shot cylinder.

mac66

Single-Sixer
IMO, the single six isn't going anywhere. People who want a adjustable sights, stainless steel or other options like different bbl lengths and better quality will still buy the SS regardless of the price. The Wrangler is the economy model. It is what it is and will likely stay what it is. A fixed sight, bare bones, one bbl length version. The Wrangler is meant to wet your lips on single actions so then you can move on up the ladder to the good stuff.

I'd bet that after the Wrangler has been out long enough to establish its real-world strengths and weaknesses we'll see a few subtle changes to address these findings.

I'd also not be surprised to see certain successful features of the Wrangler incorporated into the Single-Six line, particularly those that do not appear to compromise its "premium" image and reputation.

And yes, it would only make sense for certain of these "improvements" to find their way onto the Blackhawk series, particularly the Wrangler version grip frame for all but perhaps the Super Blackhawks.

Good chance we are seeing the genesis of subtle upgrades that will help maintain a reasonable price picture for the whole single-action line.

All JMHO, of course.

:mrgreen:

57springer

Buckeye
I saw a post on another forum for the Wrangler at $156.50 . I verified it by going to the dealers website. I bought a new single six blued 5.5 inch in 2002 for $299.00 , last year I bought a single six 5.5 inch stainless for $520.00 . Have all ruger firearms taken this much jump in price in 15 years ????

Blackmore

Blackhawk
57springer said:
I saw a post on another forum for the Wrangler at $156.50 . I verified it by going to the dealers website. I bought a new single six blued 5.5 inch in 2002 for $299.00 , last year I bought a single six 5.5 inch stainless for $520.00 . Have all ruger firearms taken this much jump in price in 15 years ????

Yes, most have.

As for the Wrangler, I noticed that even though they're still out of stock, kygunco has raised the price to $184.99 from the $173.99 in the link earlier in this thread. The prices are already going up as favorable non-gunwriter reviews turn up here and elsewhere.

I hope you ordered one at $156.50. I would have.

57springer

Buckeye
Blackmore said:
57springer said:

Yes, most have.

As for the Wrangler, I noticed that even though they're still out of stock, kygunco has raised the price to $184.99 from the $173.99 in the link earlier in this thread. The prices are already going up as favorable non-gunwriter reviews turn up here and elsewhere.

I hope you ordered one at $156.50. I would have.
I bought mine last Saturday for $199 . The shop only got three in and I had them hold it till I got there to see it . They still show them at the $156.5 at gun pro deals. I don't think I will buy anymore for the time being .If they come out with a longer barrel maybe :)

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have a herd of Single Sixes in my safe but up until a few years ago, all of them were in 32H&R (and then Single Sevens in 327). I found a nice, used blue 4-5/8"" Convertible.22LR/22Mag for $400. I then bought a pair of Sheriff's model fixed sight Polished Stainless Single Sixes with Birdshead grips after my buddy bought a Heritage in that configuration.

I had no need for a Single Six, certainly not at $500+ retail pricing. Do I love the looks of these? No. Will I try one that is $200? Yes.

My .02,

32Magfan

Sharps40

Buckeye
Well, if there would have been a brand new single six for $249 or less last year I would have bought ruger rather than cimarron (got a deal, brand new 22 for $259) but thats just me, bit of quality loyality/brand loyality. So, I can see this one selling like lots of other rugers, like hot cakes! Heck, the LCP I picked up new in box at the gun show for $175 is great, light, reliable, accurate, durable. I suspect we can trust Ruger to make the Wrangler a similar good bargain.

Ale-8(1) said:
All three of my LGS have them "on order".

Went to the OGCA show in Wilmington Saturday, walked the entire floor, couldn't find a single one.

:(
Picked my model 2003 (silver) last week and am very impressed with the build quality for the price point...trigger is better than I expected it to be for the price and if the weather ever decides to cooperate...I will shoot it...

Ruger has another winner on its hands...