New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
100% true, everything is relative. But to say that "Ruger is high end" goes against Bill Ruger's mantra from the very beginning. Don't blame Ruger for rampant inflation and increased costs of raw materials.

A blued Single Six is still $300 less than a blued K-22.

Couldn't quickly find a price for a K-22, but the blue Model 17 Masterpiece currently lists at $989 on the S&W website.

I'd go with that as pretty much "high end" . . . and no, I don't own one.

:wink:

old 41

Bearcat
Ruger should add single action to the custom shop lineup.
High polish or case coloring, custom parts fit, fancy grips etc. might do well

57springer

Buckeye
CraigC said:
100% true, everything is relative. But to say that "Ruger is high end" goes against Bill Ruger's mantra from the very beginning. Don't blame Ruger for rampant inflation and increased costs of raw materials.

A blued Single Six is still $300 less than a blued K-22.
I agree Smith -Wesson , that is high end compared to Ruger 8)

CraigC

Hawkeye
To me "high end" is somewhere near the top. Which would be Freedom Arms, Korth, full blown customs, etc.. While S&W, Ruger, Dan Wesson and Colt are all occupying the middle ground. In long guns, we'd need to add a zero or two to get to what is truly "high end".

grobin said:
Well to me high end is FreedomArms or Magnum Research BFR!
So you changed your mind about Ruger?

grobin

Blackhawk
I like Ruger a lot but would not consider them high end and never have. They are a very good for the money mid range revolver, rifle, and pistol. Some models are quite a bit better than others. My 10mm Blackhawk took some cleanup of the action to function smoothly; a friend's FreedomArms (according to him-I haven't fired it-was great out of the box and the BFR 30-30 I got to shoot was real impressive.

57springer

Buckeye
I got my wrangler this morning , got to the range this afternoon and have to say ,Its a great revolver . I agree with some previous posts, the gate takes a little extra effort to open. Trigger pull is smooth , I like the reversing Cylinder . Ruger has a winner with this Wrangler :wink:

Many have mentioned that the gate is difficult to open. Is this worse than the usual New Model difficulties? The gate is linked to the cocking operation somewhat, so that adds a little to the required effort. It's normal for these to be a little more difficult to operate than the Old Models.

57springer

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Many have mentioned that the gate is difficult to open. Is this worse than the usual New Model difficulties? The gate is linked to the cocking operation somewhat, so that adds a little to the required effort. It's normal for these to be a little more difficult to operate than the Old Models.
It requires more effort than my single six for sure .It may get easier with use :?:

louiethelump

Buckeye
The loading gate has a semi sharp edge at the back instead if it being solid and smooth. This makes it less comfortable. The gate on mine is probably twice as tight as every new model single six I have owned. The gate is MIM, so is shaped slightly different from the Single Six. I going to work on smoothing it up to see if that helps.

Normally on all of my single sixes and singles sevens I can reach up with a right thumb and flip the gate open. This one is too tight for that.

old 41

Bearcat
Looking at the Wrangler parts list there is a "pawl guide" # 43, I don't see this part on a Single-Six parts list.
Am I missing it or is this a new part that plays into the free spin and maybe the gate opening so hard?

57springer

Buckeye
old 41 said:
Looking at the Wrangler parts list there is a "pawl guide" # 43, I don't see this part on a Single-Six parts list.
Am I missing it or is this a new part that plays into the free spin and maybe the gate opening so hard?
You may be on to something , going to compare breakdowns on each gun :wink:

Our LGS hasn't gotten any of these in yet. I'll be interested to handle one.

Anybody tried to mount a Single Six grip frame to a Wrangler yet?

57springer

Buckeye
old 41 said:
I looked at the "gate detent spring " on both models, the single six and wrangler. The look very similar. The gate on the wrangler may never really get "easy " even with some break in. Not being negative , I like this revolver , But a younger shooter or someone with weak hands etc. will have problems I feel. My advice to anyone wanting to buy , handle one first .

Latest posts