New RAR Compact threaded.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dusty3030

Bearcat
I had my FFL order this awhile back for my little boy (8 1/2 years old but big at 4' 5" and 95lbs) and was finally able to swing by and get it this week.
Compact 18" threaded has a standard Ruger rear sight as I am accustomed to find on a 10/22 and in lieu of dovetailed front it has a fiber optic green one piece aluminum base / sight combo held on by one Torx screw.
My first Ruger American of any flavor.

Pros - nicely blued. Uses regular 10/22 mags that I have a jillion of. Everything worked well, decent enough trigger. Safety positive and easy to reach. He was able to run it well and liked it.

Cons - First shoots low. Sight blade maxed out for elevation you still have to hold a sight picture with the bead sitting over the rear a full bead's worth at 15 to 20 yds to be able to hit beer cans holding center mass. On paper frustrating because you have to cover bull with front sight and can't get a good sight picture to hit bull (2" stick on targets) and get a decent group.

Next shooting right. Out of the box around 6" right at 10 yds. I had to drift rear over to the left all the way until there is dovetail flat on the barrel exposed on the right and a good bit of the left edge of sight hanging off the left. Still not satisfied because I was able to get it far enough over to plink at short range I am pretty much maxed out on windage and still shooting a little right at 20 yds. No way to get it on at 50.

Long story short the irons on this rifle are good quality and would be a joy to use but the execution flat sucks to where they are near worthless.

I didn't buy it with intention of scoping it per se but I have a spare 2x7x32 Redfield and I reckon this rifle will be as good as any place to use it. Ordered the bases yesterday. I seriously think I will drift out the rear and save it for a spare for a 10/22. Put a plug in the dovetail and be done with it. Same with the front, take it off and plug the hole with a plug screw.

mac66

Single-Sixer
If you can't zero the iron sights why keep it? That far off at 15-20 yards is unacceptable. I would send it back and get one that works.

gunzo

Hunter
mac66 said:
If you can't zero the iron sights why keep it? That far off at 15-20 yards is unacceptable. I would send it back and get one that works.

^^^THIS^^^

Call Ruger! they need to make it right. The young man could get a sour taste in his mouth for the rest of his life for iron sights & Rugers.

gunzo

Hunter
You could be right huntsman, I do actually lick my thumb & then use the moist thumb to shine up the front bead. But still sometimes get a bad taste cause of what was on my thumb. :oops: