new MKIII 22/45 jamming

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zenbiker

Bearcat
It figures! Thanks for the explanation but Ruger should do a better job because this dumb little tab is hurting it's reputation. I actually considered sending the gun back to Ruger out of frustration. My gun shop had no idea that this could cause the problem after stripping the gun several times.. Just lucky I saw these posts. Maybe Ruger should consider a note in the manual explaining the possibility that this POS could be the cause of jams or at least let the dealers know.

rooger

Single-Sixer
I just fired a new MKIII Target for the first time and got many jams. Is the LCI tab-removal fix also pertinent to the non-22/45 MKIIIs?

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
rooger":3pfwbf7w said:
I just fired a new MKIII Target for the first time and got many jams. Is the LCI tab-removal fix also pertinent to the non-22/45 MKIIIs?

yes, it should be exactly the same. i cant guarantee that it will for you but it worked for me. im probably about 1500 rounds into my 22/45 since LCI removal and the only jams are a couple of failures to feed w/ the cone-shaped winchester bulk ammo. literally no jams w/ federal, remington, or CCI ammo. best ammo i have used is CCI standard velocity, it shoots tighter groups

raw6464

Bearcat
I can't remember the last jam since I removed the LCI metal tab... I went thru a full Federal 550 bulk today and not one jam. It was easy with the Ultimate Cliploader :D

Milly

Bearcat
Jacksonville, Il. The nexus of the universe
I had a pretty bad jam this afternoon that would not allow me to clear the gun until it had cooled off. It was hot and humid today and I was purposely shooting hollow point bullets in an attempt to see what was causing them to jam. I started to notice a notch or slice in the end of the jammed bullets on the left (LCI side) of the bullet nose. So, I had to field strip the gun and decide that I would disable the LCI while doing a good deep clean (which had never been done, even after shooting 4,000+ rounds). I used an automotive tool/fastener retieving magnet to remove the LCI pin and took out the metal tab. Once I got the gun reassembled the mechanism seemed to be working as it should as I dry fired it. I will try to get out to my parents place sometime soon so I can test the LCI fix with live rounds. I'm thinking this should solve a lot of issues since the LCI tab was catching on the hollow point and causing jams.

By the way, the field strip of my Mark III 22/45 wasn't as bad as some would say. Take into account that I'm mechanically inclined, but this is my only semiautomatic gun. I wil say that it seemed to come apart easy and the only time I needed a tool it was to remove the barrel from the lower frame. Remember that this gun has had 4,000+ round shoot thru it before it had ever been field stripped, so it a lot more loose than a new gun.

rooger

Single-Sixer
Milly, I'm very interested in how well the LCI-removal fix works out for you. I often shoot hollow points too.

Milly

Bearcat
Jacksonville, Il. The nexus of the universe
I was finally able to test fire my MKIII 22/45 tonight. This was after removing the LCI tab, as noted in my last post. I hot 60 rounds through the gun, 30 rounds of Winchester "333" .22LR hollow point and 30 reounds of another Winchester .22LR hollow point (I don't recall the model name, but it isn't the Super X series). I've fired both before removing the LCI and had trouble with the hollow point catching the LCI tab as the shell is being chambered. After the LCI was removed, I had no jamming issues except with one magazine. I have 3 mags and I believe one of them is tweeked and not holding the shell in place correctly and/or it is not seating correctly in the gun. I had no jams with the other two mags. I can say that I recommend the removal of the LCI tab if you're having jamming issues when shooting hollow point bullets. I have never and any issues with solid point bullets.