New Mini 14 Gas Block Question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DaveShooter

Bearcat
Hi all, Just put me a new mini 14 Ranch rifle in lay-away today. I noticed the 2 halves of the gas block aren't evenly spaced. My question as I have tinkered with some guns before can I even up the screw just a little without having to remove the gas block or should it go back to Ruger once it is out of lay-away. It is the wood stocked 583 series.. Thanks Dave

nekvermont

Buckeye
Congratulations on the new Mini, they're a lot of fun. I'd go shoot it for a while just incase there's something else that needs to be addressed by Ruger. How uneven is the gap? The bolts are probably staked. Here's a link that may help. I hope it's alright to post this here.
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/101656-mini-14-gas-block-not-square.html

DGW1949

Hunter
It's not a hard job to do...if...you have some prior experience in terms of working on machinery AND a feel for how tight is 'tight enough'.
Regardless though, you'll probably find that removing and/or loosening the factory-installed screws enough to 're-gap the block' is going to damage their threads to some extent or another, so you might want to prepare for that by buying a set of new ones ahead of time.
If you don't trust your eyes, a set of automotive feeler gauges helps with evening things up, and an inch-pound torque wrench and the appropriate 'long reach' 9/64" hex-bit will allow you to not have to guess at the correct 30-inch pounds when snugging it all back up.
I've never had a problem with gas block screws becoming loose but if the possibility bothers you, a touch of blue Loc Tite should do the trick. And just in passing, the reason Ruger stakes those particular screws is that they really don't want you fooling around with the factory gas block installation...which they claim requires a special fixture to get right...but...as you have noted yourself, it often wasn't assembled right to start with...so...

DGW

First, how did you see the gas block if it is just put on lay-a-way?.... second, why worry about it until you have shot the dern thing.... keep in mind I'm not an expert on gas blocks.... heck it being out of kilter might keep the ejected rounds within the same county.....

DGW1949

Hunter
blume357 said:
First, how did you see the gas block if it is just put on lay-a-way?.... second, why worry about it until you have shot the dern thing.... keep in mind I'm not an expert on gas blocks.... heck it being out of kilter might keep the ejected rounds within the same county.....

If he saw the gun at all, it only took him about 5 seconds to compare the left side gap to the gap on the right side.
No, the gas block "being out of kilter" will not effect how far the empties will eject. It will however, have a negative effect on group size, POI VS POA and "unexplained flyers"...most notably during (and after) the gun heats up, and even more so if we're talking multiple 5-round groups instead of say, a single 3-round group.

Hope this helped.

DGW

mpalm

Single-Sixer
Mine came like that as well and I have never changed them. One side does have a more noticeable gap than the other. The gun shoots fine however.