New Lens, 200-500MM-F5.6

Help Support Ruger Forum:

street

Hunter
He are some pictures that I took with my new lens. I think it's going to be OK.

412000575.jpg

412000573.jpg

412000570.jpg

412000569.jpg

412000572.jpg

32shooter

Blackhawk
Looks Ok to me. Wish I could take pictures as good as those are. Someday I may purchase a good camera and give it a try. Keep em' coming.

street

Hunter
Thanks for all the kind remarks! I think this lens for the price is a great bargain. I bought it for less then $1500. Nikon sell a 200-400MM/ F4 for around $7000. Now this lens is built like a tank and lets in one more stop of light, and it is designed for someone that makes a living taking photographs. But for the cost and for what I use it for I think this 200-500MM F5.6 is a great bargain. Oh! I forgot to mention that it has VR (vibration reduction). If you have a Nikon and want a very good telephoto lens then this is the lens that you want and you don't have to hock the farm to get it.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Wish you hadn't just put that up. Dang, I'm in lust over that lens. I have a Nikor 70-300 that is tack sharp but to be able to go out to 500 would help with my wildlife photography.

Was about ready to pull the trigger on the 10-24mm to hit the wide angle landscape end. I didn't know about this 200-500. Just added it to my Amazon wish list. Price isn't bad for a lens of this quality.

What's the autofocus speed like? Does it hunt or does it just snap to focus?

Thanks,
Jeff

street

Hunter
jeffnles1 said:
Wish you hadn't just put that up. Dang, I'm in lust over that lens. I have a Nikor 70-300 that is tack sharp but to be able to go out to 500 would help with my wildlife photography.

Was about ready to pull the trigger on the 10-24mm to hit the wide angle landscape end. I didn't know about this 200-500. Just added it to my Amazon wish list. Price isn't bad for a lens of this quality.

What's the autofocus speed like? Does it hunt or does it just snap to focus?

Thanks,
Jeff
It's not as fast as my 80-200/F2.8 but it still very fast. I think the reason is that the 80-200MM lets in a lot more light and that helps in auto focus. Don't get me wrong this lens focuses very quick and will be great for wildlife, which is why I bought it.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Street
Thanks for the review. Added this lens to my wish list. This will extend the range on the 70-300 I already have. This lens and a 10-24 ill be set.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I too hate you posted this. I got the 70-300 as well and thought it was meeting my needs until I saw this. LOL.

That is a decent price!

SATCOM

Blackhawk
How big is this lens? IT IS HUGE! All the reviews mentioned it was large, but I just did not appreciate their comments until it arrived this week. It requires 96mm filters. It has been wet, cold, and/or snowing since it arrived so not been able to get outside with it. However it is possible to count the eyelashes on the squirrels in the back yard, taking pictures through bathroom window and screen.

VR makes it possible to shoot hand held but it comes with a mounting collar.

I've never used a lens that has a non adjustable f stop but modern cameras with auto adjust of ISO, the shooting speed adjustment works fine.

street,

Thank you very much for pointing out this lens.

SATCOM

Whaler

Bearcat
Thanks for the photos and review, I'm hooked just have to find a buyer for my Nikkor 10.5mm fish eye to help fund it.