New guy with a Flattop .44 story

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi All,

I've been lurking a couple of years, learning some but mostly admiring the eye candy. I bought my first Ruger 40 years ago and have owned a half dozen in the interim, but realized a year ago that my stable was missing one. I have a keeper 1911, a Colt.... a keeper DA .44 mag, a S&W 29....a keeper DA .357 mag, a Python...wanted a keeper SA .44 mag, guess what?

I bought it in 95+% original condition but I'm the kind of guy who likes to buy classics well preserved then use them gently. So, about half way thru a box of mild cast bullet loads the ejector housing went flying. Took it to a very reputable shop who repaired it, but had to reblue the barrel. Nice reblue, but obvious, and much of the sex appeal was gone. Oh well, mild regrets for not making it a safe queen, but it's definitely just a shooter now. So back to the range and, before I finished the second half of the box of 900 fps loads, the housing flew off again! The shop was embarrassed and promised to fix it permanently, no charge of course.

1-DSC_0003-001.jpg

But now I'm thinking, it's no longer original, with mismatched bluing, might as well go full custom on the refinish. So here it is with new colors and some English walnut grips I made. It's a keeper.

Mr. Campbell,
Welcome! That's a beautiful gun and you've done a really nice job on those grips. Now what other hidden talents have you been keeping from us :)
Thanks,
Russ

Thanks, fellas!

Yep, Turnbull. Doug's shop is an hour or so away. I'm actually a pretty rare customer there but, in addition to great work, the service is always stellar.

The biggest piece of my gun hobby is shooting, followed closely by stockmaking and checkering (mostly shotguns) and hunting is third. I'm over 60 now and gradually cutting back on those activities in reverse order.

I don't expect to ever stock another project SxS but it's hard giving up the smell of fresh sawdust and tung oil. Pistol grips are a good way scratch the itch every now and then. English walnut is my favorite wood and not all that common on pistols, so there's some incentive there, too.

5of7

Hunter
Why so much trouble in keeping the ERH on the gun? A poor fit between the threads on the screw and the barrel?

Wouldn't a little blue Locktite® do the trick?

Beautiful salvage job, by the way.... 8)

Thanks for the welcome!

5of7 said:
Why so much trouble in keeping the ERH on the gun? A poor fit between the threads on the screw and the barrel?

Wouldn't a little blue Locktite© do the trick?

Beautiful salvage job, by the way.... 8)

We'll probably never know, but since it first gave way on such a mild load it makes me wonder if it hadn't been poorly repaired when I bought it. It doesn't involve the threads. Originally, the threaded stud would have been soldered (brazed?) into the barrel recess; maybe by a hungover employee in 1957? Perhaps it had let go at sometime and been glued in before I bought it. I propose that because it also let go after the first Turnbull repair; maybe some residue from a prior repair interfered? Anyway, they seemed to believe strongly it won't happen again...not sure why :wink: .

street

Hunter
Now that's the way that Ruger should have made them in the first place. Nice looking gun, you did a great job on the grips, as well as your first post. :lol:

CraigC

Hawkeye
I had the housing screw let go on my Buckeye .38-40. Found that the screw had a void in it. Blue 242 (242 is not the only "blue" one) usually does a good job of keeping them in place.

Rclark

Hunter
Nice! I sure wish all Ruger SA revolvers came from the factory looking like that ... three screw and all :) .

Old_School

Bearcat
mike campbell said:
Hi All,

I've been lurking a couple of years, learning some but mostly admiring the eye candy. I bought my first Ruger 40 years ago and have owned a half dozen in the interim, but realized a year ago that my stable was missing one. I have a keeper 1911, a Colt.... a keeper DA .44 mag, a S&W 29....a keeper DA .357 mag, a Python...wanted a keeper SA .44 mag, guess what?

...and here all this time I thought you were just a 16ga shooter... :D

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
That's a beautiful Blackhawk! I like how the colors came out, and you did excellent work on the grips. Seems we don't see too many with a blind grip screw. It sure gives a clean, tidy appearance.

Even if you're not a dedicated collector, it's nice to have one perfect specimen of each handgun type, isn't it?