New GP100 - 44Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Just picked the new GP100 in .44 special and really love this gun. However, I'm having a problem with sighting her in. At 25 yds she is shooting too high. I have the rear sight bottomed out and she is still four inches high!!!!! Called up Ruger and talked to a tech and he said to try it at 15 yds. Did that and it is still about three inches high. He said I could send it back but said he isn't sure what he could do for it. Said they didn't have any other sights for this model. He did say I should try a third party for a higher front sight.

Anyone else having this problem?

hittman

Staff member
You shouldn't have to change the sites.

I would have a friend or two shoot it too and try different ammo or three.

And I assume you're shooting from a rest?

roashooter

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
You shouldn't have to change the sites.

I would have a friend or two shoot it too and try different ammo or three.

And I assume you're shooting from a rest?

I cuncur with "hittman"....I have the same Ruger GP100-44s....and if I do not have a firm grip...it will shoot higher.

Shooting it from a rest ..with a firm grip....it shot to point of aim..

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The 44 special is a very versatile round with bullets anywhere from 180 grain up to 300 grain and at power levels from mild to wild. If you are a reloader try a little different load. If you only shoot factory ammo try a different hold or sight it in a little different. In other words hold the front sight a little deeper in the rear notch or aim a hair lower. :D

I have an SP-101 that shoots POA with 357 mags but with 38 specials I have to hold a little higher. :D

Rclark

Hunter
Which one? The are different barrel lengths of GP-100s (SS or Blued) and different sights (not 'sites' BTW). All I shoot in my Talo (3") GP-100 is the skeeter load with 240g SWCs. I can adjust my sights to POA.

Joe S.

Hunter
My 5.5" blued 44 does that. Shooting from a rest with a 240 gr bullet with mild or stiff charge of Unique, i can not get it down to POA. I have tried shorter rear blade to no avail. Only thing left is to let someone else shoot it, and i just havent got anyone out here yet. But I think I need a taller front sight.

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
The last few Rugers I have gotten have all had sight issues. By Bisley .32 magnum required a custom made taller front sight (I was not aware of 2 dogs at the time) and my SP101 .327 shot super low with the sight at max elevation. In both cases Ruger said there were no other front sights available.

Thel

Blackhawk
Novak offers 2 different front sight heights for the GP: .245" AND .265" with fiber optics. Their other front sights are all .265".

A gunsmith ought to be able to obtain a sight blank from Brownells and fashion a front sight of correct height to fit the dovetail. I have had this done in the past for a Speed Six I owned. Also, different bullet weights and/or velocities can cause the bullet to strike the target at different points.

rangerbob

Buckeye
This has been addressed before to the point of all should know. My 5" blued GP-100 did exactly the same as the poster. I called Ruger and got the same answer as he. Others have reported that Ruger gladly sent them out a taller sight and fixed the problem. I was told by Ruger that they use cowboy loads for testing and sighting, while most buyers shoot Keith, Skeeter, or similar handloads. I wound up installing a .330" sight from Dawson Precision and fixed my problem. Bob!! :)

az6gun

Bearcat
My 5.5" version was the same way. I sent it back and they replaced the barrel for some reason, It still shot high so I sent it back again and they Installed a taller sight. Problem fixed! I had the same problem with the Bisley 44 Spl with a 4 5/8" barrel and took it to a Smith and had a taller sight Installed.

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
I just picked up a 3" GP100 in 44 Special and am asking for holster recommendations. I prefer a paddle or something with snaps so I don't have to undo my belt to put it on and take it off.

Steve

Latest posts