"new Blackhawk" 357 front sight replacement

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kurtwm

Bearcat
Hi everyone. I am new on this forum and recently purchased a stainless 357 "New Blackhawk". I like this revolver very much and the other day I took it to an indoor range to shoot it for the very first time. It is a beautiful weapon, comfortable grip and great shooting weapon. I like it very much, BUT I hate the front sight. It is an almost black sight and extremely hard to see unless the light conditions are perfect. Of course they never are and I like to replace the front sight with a HIVIZ green fiber optic sight. I am trying to figure out how difficult it might be to remove the factory sight. It appears that the sight is just pinned and can be removed with a simple 1/16-inch punch. Before I do this I wanted to confirm that this is all I have to do. Has anyone here replaced the front sight on their new model Blackhawk?

The stainless ones do have the blade fitted into a dovetail milled into the base with the roll/spring pin installed. Carefully drifting out the pin (I might support the sight blad to avoid things twisting as the pin passes through it) and you can replace it with a number of options, either aftermarket or some Ruger options - though there aren't as many of those options as there might be. I'd check out Bowen sights, and check Midway or Brownells for other options - I have seen at least one fiber optic pipe model for sale somewhere in those.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Welcome to this forum!

Here's two choices from Ruger and you might want the V notch rear blade as well.
http://shopruger.com/Sights/products/554/

Model airplane fluorescent orange works well too at much less cost.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Model airplane fluorescent orange works well to at much less cost.
As does ladies finger nail polish. Either the paint or the polish is on all my Blackhawks - it does make a difference.

If you decide to change the front sight blade, you will need to drill the new sight so the hole in the sight blade matches the hole in the sight base PERFECTLY. It sounds scarier then it really is. The method is to drill the hole with the new sight blade in place AND you drill halfway from one side and THEN finish the hole from the OTHER side. This way the cross-pin hole matches the base hole PERFECTLY on both sides.

kurtwm

Bearcat
Thanks all for your input. I like the idea of fluorescent paint on the front sight. I will try this first and if I am still not satisfied go with the Hi-Viz option. I feel a little more confidence now that I know it's relatively simple if carefully done.

kurtwm

Bearcat
OK, I painted the top of the front sight using orange glow paint. Used a tooth pick to apply the paint. $5 bucks at an arts & craft store. What a huge difference it makes. Hope the stuff stays on for a while, but have a feeling it might rub off eventually.

Kolns

Bearcat
Use Testors Fluorescent Orange 1173 and apply it from the top of the front site down till the paint just fills the bottom of the rear sight with the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight. Add another layer as needed.