New addition to my Ruger family

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hugh

Buckeye
This blackened stainless SR9 came home with me today. Any ideas on good CCW ammunition?

rugersr9blackstainless9k.jpg

Shooter33

Bearcat
As one who has several 9mm handguns, I have pretty well settled on the heavy 147 gr Jacketed hollow points for all of them. Have tried the 115 gr, the 124 grain, and everything from the old Browning HP, down to the little Kel Tec PF9, the heavier weight bullet just performs better, at least at reasonable defence distances.
If I was concerned about 50 and greater yard targets, I might think different, but at the 10 to 25 foot defence distance, they have great penetration, plus open up well. Recoil i snot brutal, even in the less than one pound semi auto, and a real fluffy kittens cat in the Ruger Blackhawk .357 / 9 mm version, so up until the next "new wonder bullet" comes along, I'm satisfied with my choice.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I have one that looks just like it. I too like the heavier JHP for carry.
For plinking/practice, the PMC 115 grain FMJ functions really well in mine as well.

cwl1862

Bearcat
Hugh":2jkbp2fg said:
This blackened stainless SR9 came home with me today. Any ideas on good CCW ammunition?

rugersr9blackstainless9k.jpg

I carry the Speer SB 124 gr +P Gold Dot HP in all of my 9mm's. Good ammo, flawless functioning in all my firearms. I like what I read about it and have complete faith that if I do my part, the ammo will do it's part. Best advise I can give is find a good quality load that works in your gun be it Speer, Hornady, Corbon, Remington, or Winchester, practice with it and be confident in your abilities.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/9x19.htm

kscott

Single-Sixer
The first SD rounds I picked up for my SR9 were 147gr, but I soon realized their Point of Impact was nowhere near those of my practice loads (115) which is why I've now switched to 124 gr. JMO of course, as I wanted my practice time to coincide better with any real-life situation because I sure as heck shoot a lot more at the range than I do in self-defense.