New .454 Bisley Quality Control

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Xrayist said:
I'm sorry, but when someone says something like "typical Ruger half assed workmanship", I have to ask, what company who, mass produces a product, delivers every one of those products that are perfect 100% of the time? I will start buying their products! Imperfections slip through, but what matters is how the comoany gandles it. It will be in goid hands with Ruger.

Ruger allows way to many to slip through in this day and age. Case in point the last two Ruger handguns I purchased had to go back due to serious flaws.
Yes, they paid for the shipping and the turnaround was fast. But still, a trained monkey could of spotted the flaws.

And the way Ruger fits grips on these new revolvers is absolutely pathetic.

Xrayist said:
I'm sorry, but when someone says something like "typical Ruger half assed workmanship", I have to ask, what company who, mass produces a product, delivers every one of those products that are perfect 100% of the time? I will start buying their products! Imperfections slip through, but what matters is how the comoany gandles it. It will be in goid hands with Ruger.

X2, and after over 40 years buying revolvers today unless it is a custom shop gun like Freedom Arms, I haven't found one I would invest my money in over the ruger "REVOLVERS", like was said, when does one slip thru,,,,, Ruger will make it right, thats all I care about, if I buy the Ruger I know it will be right or made right,,,, after that I don't have to worry about thousands of rounds chaning that,,,,, I can't say that about any other!! I have stretched Smiths, shot Colts loose, and Tarrus is,,,,,, well you get whatever you end up with,,,,,,

Typical to me from Ruger has been pretty dang good compared to others I have had! It just suck's when you happen to be one of the few that get's that 1 in a 100!! No worries, they will cover it, and in a few day's you'll be dang glad you purchased a real shooter!!!

andyo5

Single-Sixer
The front sight mounting work is unacceptable. I doubt that you would find anyone at the Ruger factory who would defend it. The rough spot above the grip is disappointing, but not on the same level. If the gun goes back to the factory, they will be able to correct both at the same time. This is what its like in todays world of modern manufacturing. You simply have to make the call, tell them what is needed, and be patient.
I have dealt with Ruger regarding issues like this. I found them friendly, sincere, and cooperative. I doubt they will resist your effort to gain satisfaction and they will no doubt send you a call tag so you won't have to pay for shipping back to the factory. They have done so more than once for me. Don't let anyone call you a whiner about this. You paid good money and deserve better.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
andyo5 said:
The front sight mounting work is unacceptable. I doubt that you would find anyone at the Ruger factory who would defend it. The rough spot above the grip is disappointing, but not on the same level. If the gun goes back to the factory, they will be able to correct both at the same time. This is what its like in todays world of modern manufacturing. You simply have to make the call, tell them what is needed, and be patient.
I have dealt with Ruger regarding issues like this. I found them friendly, sincere, and cooperative. I doubt they will resist your effort to gain satisfaction and they will no doubt send you a call tag so you won't have to pay for shipping back to the factory. They have done so more than once for me. Don't let anyone call you a whiner about this. You paid good money and deserve better.
+1

P89DC

Single-Sixer
On the front sight, it's not welded, it's silver brazed. The joint looks as if there's still some flux residue on the brazed joint, it may clean up with some hot water flowed over it (under the kitchen sink tap works fine). Having said that, the grip frame casting has porosity (little holes), the entire casting is suspect and should have been rejected.

I'd send it back to Ruger, they'll fix everything with a smile. If 1% of Rugers are defective, that's an appalling failure rate of 10,000ppm. Products such as cell phone, laptops, printers etc are much more complex electro-mechanical systems and have failure rates measured in the 10ppm range (0.01% failure rate from out-of-box through warranty life).

There's an old story about how Bill Ruger fired all the QC engineers at one point, it shows in the quality culture at Ruger. Ruger is blowing through profits and customer good will by fixing quality issues on the back end instead up front in the design process.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
P89DC said:
... Ruger is blowing through profits and customer good will by fixing quality issues on the back end instead up front in the design process.

That's very true. But I think Ruger has a very, very, very small defective rate on its products, but we never hear about all the good high quality guns that Ruger puts out.

There are no quality "issues" at Ruger and statements like "typical Ruger half-assed workmanship", "Ruger is plain bizzaro sometimes" and "absolutely pathetic" are out of line and uncalled for in a discussion about Ruger's guns.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Mickey D said:
I wouldn't accept it. It would bother me every time I took it out.
Send it back.

Me also, that one would be returned before I shot it. It may be only fit and finish, but at the price it is selling for, I'm not getting my money's worth.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
jbntx said:
There are no quality "issues" at Ruger and statements like "typical Ruger half-assed workmanship", "Ruger is plain bizzaro sometimes" and "absolutely pathetic" are out of line and uncalled for in a discussion about Ruger's guns.
I don't agree, there's a huge quality issue at Ruger. I work in the manufacturing world, we supply semiconductors to all of the world's major hi-tech companies and I get involved in very complex QC issues that are measured in the 100ppm range (and need to be around 1ppm). It's very clear that Ruger's failure rate, out-of-box, is higher than 0.1% (1000ppm) and probably is close to 1% (10,000ppm). They get away with it because it's difficult to manufacture guns out of country due to regulatory issues. This allows Ruger to get away with their quality level, similar to the US auto industry up until the early 70's when Japanese cars started taking over.....

jbntx

Single-Sixer
P89DC said:
jbntx said:
I don't agree, there's a huge quality issue at Ruger. I work in the manufacturing world, we supply semiconductors to all of the world's major hi-tech companies and I get involved in very complex QC issues that are measured in the 100ppm range (and need to be around 1ppm). It's very clear that Ruger's failure rate, out-of-box, is higher than 0.1% (1000ppm) and probably is close to 1% (10,000ppm). They get away with it because it's difficult to manufacture guns out of country due to regulatory issues. This allows Ruger to get away with their quality level, similar to the US auto industry up until the early 70's when Japanese cars started taking over.....

Put aside for a minute your qualifications.

How many guns does Ruger produce? How many are returned for repair? How many are damn near perfect with satisfied owners?

Without this information, how can you draw a conclusion about Ruger's quality control?
A few bad guns do not make a "quality control problem".

You mention Ruger's failure rate. Can you define failure rate?

Sounds like you and others are trying to make a mountain out of a very small mole hill.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
jbntx said:
How many guns does Ruger produce? How many are returned for repair? How many are damn near perfect with satisfied owners?

Without this information, how can you draw a conclusion about Ruger's quality control?
A few bad guns do not make a "quality control problem".

You mention Ruger's failure rate. Can you define failure rate?

Sounds like you and others are trying to make a mountain out of a very small mole hill.

I can't put aside my qualifications, that's what helped me draw my conclusions. I've been involved in just these type of issues for over 25 years. I've had to weed through my own company's lies/miss-statements and customer issues to fix these type of problems. Anyone in the quality field can see it it's a problem.

Ruger made ~1M guns last year, I am sure that the defect rate (proper wording for failure rate) is over 1000 guns returned for defects that Ruger fixed. That puts it at a minimum of 1000ppm. I can't imagine Ruger has all that phone service for 1000 defects, it's very easy to envision 1000~10,000 guns repaired last year. That puts the Ruger defect rate at 1000~10,000 ppm. That kind of defect rate is usually a disaster, Ruger gets away with it due to poor domestic competition and lack of foreign competition.

What's a defect? Casting porosity, canted barrel, poor quality finishing (grips don't fit, sights are mounted with cosmetic defects, grip frame doesn't match) cartridge sticks in cylinder due to poor quality control on boring, pistol fails to feed, rifle fails to feed, the entire SR762 fiasco, and on and on.

MaxP

Buckeye
P89DC said:
[Ruger made ~1M guns last year, I am sure that the defect rate (proper wording for failure rate) is over 1000 guns returned for defects that Ruger fixed. That puts it at a minimum of 1000ppm. I can't imagine Ruger has all that phone service for 1000 defects, it's very easy to envision 1000~10,000 guns repaired last year. That puts the Ruger defect rate at 1000~10,000 ppm. That kind of defect rate is usually a disaster, Ruger gets away with it due to poor domestic competition and lack of foreign competition.

Faulty premise as far as I am concerned, when a conclusion is based on a statement beginning with "I am sure that......" Without actual numbers, you cannot, with any degree of credibility, draw such conclusions. Am I missing something? Not trying to be combative, but......

jbntx

Single-Sixer
P89DC said:
...Ruger made ~1M guns last year...

I've bought 15 of those guns in the last year. Super Blackhawks and Blackhawks in 44 special, 44 magnum and 45 Colt.
Each one was perfect. That's all I have to go on.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
I just bought a .480 Bisley and might have it by Tuesday. Once I put my hands on it will post a mini review.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
MaxP said:
Faulty premise as far as I am concerned, when a conclusion is based on a statement beginning with "I am sure that......" Without actual numbers, you cannot, with any degree of credibility, draw such conclusions. Am I missing something? Not trying to be combative, but......
Naa, you're right, anyone that thinks Ruger has a qc problem is just trolling....

MaxP

Buckeye
P89DC said:
MaxP said:
Naa, you're right, anyone that thinks Ruger has a qc problem is just trolling....

That's not what I said and you know it. I am just pointing out that not knowing hard numbers makes it difficult for someone to draw a credible conclusion.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
I just don't get the grip fitment issue Ruger has. If the frames are all the same size and the grips can be made all the same size, why do so many look so bad?

Latest posts