New .454 Bisley Quality Control

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
jbntx said:
P89DC said:
... Ruger is blowing through profits and customer good will by fixing quality issues on the back end instead up front in the design process.

That's very true. But I think Ruger has a very, very, very small defective rate on its products, but we never hear about all the good high quality guns that Ruger puts out.

There are no quality "issues" at Ruger and statements like "typical Ruger half-assed workmanship", "Ruger is plain bizzaro sometimes" and "absolutely pathetic" are out of line and uncalled for in a discussion about Ruger's guns.

Precisely! Ruger "blowing through profits and customer good will by fixing quality issues on the back end" is a totally erroneous assumption based on a figment of imagination. They did not become the successful and financially rock solid company they are today by doing something like that at any significant or stupid level!

It's so successful and well managed in fact that it's the only company of its magnitude that has never once financed its operations with a loan in all of its 66 years history.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
MaxP said:
P89DC said:
MaxP said:
Faulty premise as far as I am concerned, when a conclusion is based on a statement beginning with "I am sure that......" Without actual numbers, you cannot, with any degree of credibility, draw such conclusions. Am I missing something? Not trying to be combative, but......
Naa, you're right, anyone that thinks Ruger has a qc problem is just trolling....

That's not what I said and you know it. I am just pointing out that not knowing hard numbers makes it difficult for someone to draw a credible conclusion.

MaxP,

Absolutely correct! Credible conclusions cannot be made with assumptions, guesses, and emotions or argued with sarcasm; only with facts.

And someone appears to be confusing "failure rates" with "quality control" rates. Guns that go back to Ruger and corrected are not "failed" products that must be scrapped as total losses. They are fixed and returned for far less of a loss to the manufacturer. Rugers that actually fail and must be replaced are truly miniscule. Comparing QC problems of two different industries is also erroneous because they can have completely different impacts on the bottom line.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
P89DC said:
jbntx said:
There are no quality "issues" at Ruger and statements like "typical Ruger half-assed workmanship", "Ruger is plain bizzaro sometimes" and "absolutely pathetic" are out of line and uncalled for in a discussion about Ruger's guns.
I don't agree, ..... They get away with it because it's difficult to manufacture guns out of country due to regulatory issues. This allows Ruger to get away with their quality level, similar to the US auto industry up until the early 70's when Japanese cars started taking over.....

I'm sorry, but hat's pure nonsense. Ruger already has a better value product than the imports in spite of the regulatory issues and including import shipping costs.

Besides the only regulatory issue besides those in your imagination is the requirement for a safety which Ruger already supplies, and a much better one to boot!

And a comparison to the auto industry is completely fallacious, it may sound good but is really not relevant.

jadek44

Single-Sixer
The gent got a crappy gun. If he wants to crab, its ok with me. I own a couple that are fine, but I also have S&W that are ok as well. It is a p-p job of welding..

It would seem to me the people doing all the pizzing and moaning either want something to complain about or they wouldn't be buy those faulty guns. I've got a fair number of Rugers myself and haven't had those problems. I've also seen guns come from other manufacturers including Smith that have had problems. But Ruger is the only one producing 1 Million a year, and that says quite a lot about their quality. If they are as bad as some say (truth is SPECULATE ON WITH OUT ANY REAL NUMBERS AT ALL) they wouldn't be producing the numbers they are producing. It's clear they are experts when they start comparing QC on apples to bananas.

team~101

Bearcat
IMO poor QC has been a Ruger trademark for a while. Nearly every Ruger I have handled has had a cosmetic issue that wouldn't have left the factory at some other manufacturers. Some had worse issues. The worst was a GP with what looked like an off centered barrel that shaved lead during the factory test fire and still made it to my FFL from Davidson's.

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
We know Ruger is capable of making examples of that model without such obvious flaws, so the argument that "they aren't a custom shop gun that costs 2X as much" doesn't hold water. Making excuses for shoddy QC doesn't help anyone including Ruger who should be building the quality in rather than expecting the customer to be their final inspectors. I would send it back.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Who wouldn't be disappointed ordering and getting a gun like that. Of the dozen or so Ruger guns I have bought, some ordered, I have been happy with all of them. A few of my guns needed some 'refinement around the edges' but nothing serious. The OP asked for an opinion and he got plenty. So, if not happy send it back. Big deal. Why do some folks go on and on about the company. :shock:

MaxP

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
Who wouldn't be disappointed ordering and getting a gun like that. Of the dozen or so Ruger guns I have bought, some ordered, I have been happy with all of them. A few of my guns needed some 'refinement around the edges' but nothing serious. The OP asked for an opinion and he got plenty. So, if not happy send it back. Big deal. Why do some folks go on and on about the company. :shock:

My exact sentiments.

griffonhill

Bearcat
Yea it was probably a mistake posting this, as it snowballed out of control pretty fast. The intent was not to rain on Ruger's parade, just to point out one that slipped through the cracks. They took the gun back no questions asked, fixed all the problems and shipped it back all in a timely manner (just as I knew they would). All is well that ends well.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
When a single consumer buys three guns and all three have defects you can imply a defect rate in the 40% range. Interesting link:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/chris-dumm/nssf-shooting-industry-suffers-from-40-returndefect-rate/

By the time we'd gotten our egos stuffed back into our packpacks we'd learned another factoid, but this one isn't so copacetic: overall, the shooting industry carries a 40% return/defect rate.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
How could you even measure that 40 percent? That entire article is nonsense.

The following is a fact from my personal experience. I looked through my records and discovered that 5 of the last 20 "new" Rugers I have bought have gone back to the factory. One of those, an SR22, went back twice. Had problems with an SR9, LC9, and recently a Lipsey's exclusive #1. The worst was a Vaquero that the ejector rod housing exited the barrel on the first shot. That required a replacement barrel.

Prior to the last 20 I don't recall any others that had to go back to Ruger. So, based on MY experience I would say that lack of good quality and workmanship is a fairly recent phenomena.

Dave

Holy @#$+ WTH kinda Mickey Mouse bull@#$+ is that front site???

This is the very first Ruger revolver I've ever seen to exhibit this kind of "from the factory" issue.

Call Ruger. Email them those pics. They will replace the gun.

stevemb

Hunter
Call'em the way you see'm. The OP did. Maybe he worded it a bit rougher than some of us liked, but the pics didn't lie. The issue is being correctly addressed. Hope OP does a follow-up, please.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Come on guys. Pay attention. Problem solved and fine now. :D
zagnation said:
Yea it was probably a mistake posting this, as it snowballed out of control pretty fast. The intent was not to rain on Ruger's parade, just to point out one that slipped through the cracks. They took the gun back no questions asked, fixed all the problems and shipped it back all in a timely manner (just as I knew they would). All is well that ends well.