New 1990's Ruger M77 MKII .338 Win Mag with BP stock issues.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

plattski

Bearcat
I have another perspective on the .338 WM boat paddle. I picked up a used Mk II after last elk season to upgrade for a little more authority above my old 30-06.

I've killed a number of elk with the '06 and my old .308 and I've owned tang safety M77s before, but the .338 is much more accurate than any of the others firing Barnes Vor-Tx 210 gr TTSX. It came in a Hogue stock which I liked okay but it is heavy for a long day in the mountains so I found the right boat paddle stock for $50 and swapped them to see how the recoil felt. I've got 51 year old shoulders too but I find the recoil is no big deal, no more abrupt than my old '06 with its hard butt plate.

This is a tough, light and inexpensive elk rifle and I'll be testing it out this weekend when the season opens. I'll let you all know how it goes.

BOSSHOG

Bearcat
CAN ANYBODY QUOTE THE PART NUMBER FOR A LIMB-SAVER OR ANY OTHER GOOD QUALITY BUT PAD TO FIT ON A 77 MKII BOAT PADDLE STOCK? MANY THANKS AJ

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
BOSSHOG said:
CAN ANYBODY QUOTE THE PART NUMBER FOR A LIMB-SAVER OR ANY OTHER GOOD QUALITY BUT PAD TO FIT ON A 77 MKII BOAT PADDLE STOCK? MANY THANKS AJ

I don't know about the Limb-Saver, but Pachmayr makes a pre-fit Decelerator pad for the Ruger "boat-paddle", or recessed stock.
The part no. is 01736.

It is a pretty good fit, but I did have to use slightly longer screws than the ones supplied.

Jeff

Smokepole50

Bearcat
Sorry to be so long getting back to the thread. I have the HS Prec. stock installed and the a new Burris 4.5x14 E1 scope on the .338. I still have not skim coated the action to the stock and I may not based on the way things are developing.

I have been working up loads and things are going quite well. I started off shooting Sierra 215 gr bullets because someone had suggested to due to there harder jackets. My inital loading was 72 gr of Reloader 19, the Serria 215 and Fed Gold Metal Match Mag. primers. Today I when out with a H4350 load and the Sierra 215 and boy am I happy thus far. I have only shot 40 rounds threw this barrel and today those 215gr Sierra's really shot tight with the 72 gr of H4350. I mean holes touching at 100 yards tight. I am really looking forward to seeing how well the rifle shoots with neck sized brass as thus far I have been using new Winchester cases to work up a load.

As far as recoil goes it is greatly improved over the Boat Paddle but I expect 250 grainers would still be a bit stiff from the bench. I think the HS Prec. stock was money well spent.

Does anyone use the 200gr .338 Hornaday bullets in their .338 Win Mag?
I also have some 180gr Nosler's I hope to get dialed in but if nothing else works those 215 Sierra's will do the job just fine.

Suckersrus........Max Meadows is about 55 miles south of me on I-81.

Regards, Smokepole

martyj

Blackhawk
I use Nosler partition 210 with H4350 and load them hot. The best part is they will shoot 1 MOA easily.
Try some H4831sc it will mellow out the recoil for you and shoots well also.