Need to cast bullet help please.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tom black

Blackhawk
I've been reloading since 1972 an I'm ashamed to admit I don't know the answer to my question. I've started reloading cast bullets in my 375 H&H (the first time I've ever reloaded cast bullets in a bottle neck cartridge) an I'm getting some lead shaving and I've ruined a couple of cases. My question is, with a sizing die for a bottle neck cartridge can you adjust it to flare the case mouth like on a straight wall case? I'm chamfering the mouth and that helps some. Thanks ahead of time.
Tom

NikA

Buckeye
I believe the Lyman M dies and Lee Universal Neck Expanding die are the tools designed to solve your shaving problem. To my knowledge, there is not a way to adjust standard dies for bottleneck cartridges to flare the neck for cast bullet seating.

tom black

Blackhawk
Recumbent,
That looks like what I need and with Midsouth only and hour an a half from home I see a road trip in the near future. Thank you.
Tom

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

The Lyman M-die already mentioned has been around for a long time and enjoys a great reputation. The Lee Universal Expanding die is newer, but the one I have does the job quite nicely--I load cast bullets in .30-06, .30-30, .303 British and 7.62 x 54R, and the Lee die got rid of all my problems. Either die should do the job for you.

Rick C

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
Are you sizing your bullets after you cast them? Just because a mold states .375 (or whatever) doesn't mean it's casting exactly that. You may just need a sizing die for the bullet to get it back down to spec.

mikld

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
You might be able to use something as simple as a metal punch to "flare" the case mouth just a little. Uniformity may be an issue.
I have don this a few times to see if the problem was from too little flare. If it worked, I purchased a dedicated flaring/expanding die. On one case I used a 30-06 case and pushed/turned it in the case mouth to flare it a bit. It was slow, but it worked...

Latest posts