Need Advice w/44. Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ResQ911

Bearcat
My buddy talked me into looking for a 44. Carbine to deer hunt in the brush.
I went out looking for one and ended up buying a 25th Anniversary model.
Problem is, when I took it to gun shop to get looked over and get a rear peep sight installed, the Gunsmith told me I was a fool to shoot even one round through it.
It is brand new (Well, made in 1985) but never fired and still plastic wrapped in it's original box. I bought it from Ruger directly.

Now I am concerned I would be better off with a nice used one and let someone who collects these have it.

Is this collectable?
Should I leave it as unfired?
Should I just be happy and enjoy it?

Help!!

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't know if it's "collectable" or not. What I do know though, is that once a gun is fired it can not be unfired....meaning that it will never be "new in the box" again, so any premium that it being "NIB" MIGHT have brought is gone.

But hey, you bought it shoot, use, hunt with, and enjoy right?...so heck, have fun and quit worrying. Life's too short, and besides...it's just "stuff" anyway.

DGW

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
1985 was the last year that the 44 Carbine was made. I would not shoot it. You could probably sell it and buy two rifles that you also like. :D

pete44ru

Hunter

Welcome to the forum !

IMO, the rifle will be worth more to YOU if you use it, than if you don't.

Keep in mind that real collectibles are not the various "anniversary" models - which in my mind are only a small step above commemorative guns.

I bought (new) a 50th Anniversary .45-70 Ruger #1 in 1999, just because I liked the way it looked (engraved with gold highlights), then promptly took it hunting for the next 5 years, before I eventually sold it for close to twice what I had paid for it.

The .44 Auto's are one of the best brush hunting guns ever made, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine.

ResQ911

Bearcat
I heard many say they would never sell their 44. that it was their favorite brush gun.
Just worried I would be wasting something by firing it.
I plan to drag a 44. around and use it.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
SOME older NIB unfired guns DO have a plus factor large enough to make it worthwhile to NOT shoot and keep the extra value. There is a downside but the owner has to decide which way to go: enjoy full use, or enjoy full resale bonus by keeping it as new.
One CAN enjoy a rare gun by selling it, and use the proceeds to buy a same version in nice but used condition and not have to worry about a fired round or scratch immediately dropping the value any substantial amount.
The Ruger #1S in 35 Whelen I just purchased unseen has a very plain walnut stock. The upside to it is that it will not bother me to ENJOY and USE the gun the way it was meant to be. Had it come with an incredibly fancy wood I would have been tempted to keep it back in the safe as an 'investment'.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Kind of late to the party but as much as I am a use a gun guy, I wouldn't shoot that one. Rather I would sell it to a collector and use the money to buy a more common one.

44rugerr

Single-Sixer
I am a 44 collector and I switched to a 77/44 for my deer gun and have been pleased with it, especially the zyntel stock. Even if your gun is used it does carry a higher value to collectors. I have found few 44's in box. Even one I bought direct from ruger did not have the original box.

pete44ru

Hunter
mac66 said:
Kind of late to the party but as much as I am a use a gun guy, I wouldn't shoot that one. Rather I would sell it to a collector and use the money to buy a more common one.

IMO, anyone planning to do so should consider that older/worn tube-feed .44 Carbines are prone to cracking or breaking-off the lugs that secure the TG housing to the receiver, resulting in a jam-o-matic (every shot); AND the housings are both un-repairable & now unobtainium.

NIB would be the best way to go.

mac66

Single-Sixer
pete44ru said:
mac66 said:

IMO, anyone planning to do so should consider that older/worn tube-feed .44 Carbines are prone to cracking or breaking-off the lugs that secure the TG housing to the receiver, resulting in a jam-o-matic (every shot); AND the housings are both un-repairable & now unobtainium.

NIB would be the best way to go.

You may be right but most 44 carbines that I looked at in my area have not been shot very much. The ammo has always been relatively expensive and as a result the use pretty much relegated to hunting. I bought a 1977 44 carbine last summer. It still had the original box of ammo with it. In 40 years the guy shot a dozen rounds through it.

My point was that a NIB 44 carbine has more value as a collectable than a shooter. He could sell it and then buy something he wouldn't mind shooting all the time. I am not a collector buy I appreciate that others might value a gun like that. If he absolutely had to have a Ruger he could find one in decent shape.