Nebraska for Big Horn sheep?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Wasn't the first state I thought of.

Kiersten Black is joined by father and brother after her successful hunt.

Kiersten Black is joined by father and brother after her successful hunt.
(Nebraska Game and Parks Commission)

Nebraska's hunting program has only harvested 34 sheep, marking a significant milestone since the program began in 1998. In the 1980s, bighorn sheep were reintroduced into Nebraska to combat uncontrolled hunting, habitat loss, and disease that had caused their disappearance in the late 1800s.

Today, the state boasts a population of over 250 rams, ewes and lambs, wildlife officials said.

contender

Ruger Guru
Miss Penny showed me that story a few days back. I loved it! But I'm like you, I wouldn't have thought of Nebraska either.

If you ever drive interstate 84 in Oregon between mile posts 120 and 140, keep your eyes open on the south side of the highway. I drive this every couple of weeks and I am always surprised how many people have no idea about the bighorn sheep we have in this area. This past week I tied my personal record by spotting 8 different groups. The group sizes ranged from a pair to around 15. All were down low on the hillside so fairly easy to see. A friend drives truck and passes here 4 times per week. On Thursday he told me where 2 groups were, but he had missed the others due to his limited visibility uphill from a truck cab.