Watch out for the pigs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boy, those ..44 Rugers look like they were abused children!
The SBH sat under the front seat of my Father-in-law's truck for I don't know how long. My Brother-in-law was an armorer for Idaho State Police and was able to clean off all of the rust and get it back to functional. It may not be the prettiest bell at the ball, but she shoots like a dream. The flat-top was a recent purchase and the pictures do not do it justice. It came with after-market stag grips which I absolutely hated. Recently bought the factory grips for it, but have not had it out to the range since to see how she feels now.

gatling

Blackhawk
I don't know if a .223 is the right gun, but this is what I have for them:

.450 Bushmaster w/ IR Scope (after taking this pic, I swapped the scope mount for a quick release cantilever and I have a red dot for daytime, also on a quick release)
View attachment 44269

Chiappa 1892 .44 Mag
View attachment 44266

A Ruger Scout in .450 Bushmaster that will arrive next week.

And for back up, two Blackhawks in .44mag:
View attachment 44267
View attachment 44268
That Chiappa 1892 is a beautiful firearm. You hit the wood lottery on that one.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
You wouldn't make any friends in MS by letting them go, and might even have a visit from a State game warden to explain to you what the goal is.
In Cali, they are a game animal, and you have to have a license and tag(s) to hunt pigs. I also had Guide License #134 in Cali. The rancher made $100 for every hog killed by a client and split with the guide another $200 for a trophy fee for large boars.

Early on, there was no real limit. Only a license was required, and many farmers/ranchers allowed easy access. Then guides started buying hunting rights until it became about the only way to be sure of getting a nice hog. I started out as a client, became friends with the guide (a one-man operation) on several annual hunts, hunted elk together, families knew each other, etc. After a while, he needed some help on a hunt and asked me to help out. Became friends with the rancher and his wife, we bought a lease together (the guide bought half). He started calling me to help out when he had hunters and suggested I get my own ticked so I could guide customers when he couldn't. After a while, I was either assisting or conducting hunts for him about twice a month. I got laid off at my regular job, got a chance to go back to college and grad school getting my degrees in Biology. We could do personal hunts (2 hogs, 1 deer, quail, dove, and rabbit per year. While in school, a big mule deer, one or two hogs, and an elk were what we lived on.

Edit:

Last edited:
That Chiappa 1892 is a beautiful firearm. You hit the wood lottery on that one.
Yes I did. It's a blast to shoot also, although last time I did I ran into some issues.
  • Had a reload case separate in the chamber
  • The front site came off of the barrel
  • The aftermarket rail loosened up

Currently it is at my gunsmiths getting fixed and making sure everything is as it should be.

contender

Ruger Guru
thinckley,, I'm glad to hear the one was rescued & restored as much as he did. The other one does look better,, but looks like it too had a rough time in the past.
Stags can be "rough" to handle when shooting heavy loads for sure.

thinckley,, I'm glad to hear the one was rescued & restored as much as he did. The other one does look better,, but looks like it too had a rough time in the past.
The grips that were on it were for a NM and had an extra alignment pin hole drilled that was a bit too big so not only were the grips to big, but they had a small amount of play in them. Every shot was a knuckle buster.

I am not a collector of pristine safe-queens (yet). Every gun I own gets shot, gets used, and despite the collectability, has a purpose... even if that purpose is a second gun in an "existing" caliber. (OM BH in .30 Carb to match the IBM M1 Carbine... I am in IT, how can I not own a gun made by IBM?!?).

As a side note... that SBH is what sent me down the OM Blackhawk rabbit hole :LOL: :LOL:

It just feels good, every last bit. The grip, the weight, the hammer, the 4 clicks, the trigger, the recoil. I have only felt love stronger than that three times in my life; my wife, and my two kids (so far, leaving room for eventual grandkids).

One of my neighbors owns several thousand acres in OK, which he leases out to a cattle rancher. That property has a growing pig population which he goes out to help control 2 or 3 times a year. His weapon of choice is a .308 AR10 equipped with thermal.
does he want some help? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

contender

Ruger Guru
"As a side note... that SBH is what sent me down the OM Blackhawk rabbit hole :LOL: :LOL:

It just feels good, every last bit. The grip, the weight, the hammer, the 4 clicks, the trigger,"

This explanation is exactly why so many of us do enjoy the Old Models so well.

Now,, we've drifted far enough.

Wild pigs can be a big problem in so many ways. Sadly,, too many with a problem feel the greed,, eerrr,, need to profit over proper controls. People pay me to fix wildlife problems,, when all they would need to do is address the root of the problems, and do prevention methods to drastically reduce issues.
I have houses,, where the construction is poor, and animals find their way in. Once in, homeowners find out they have unwanted wildlife has found the openings left by crappy builders. They have to hire me to fix the house and remove the critters.
Or, we have places that create wildlife sanctuaries, (gated communities, restricted access, etc) that allows animals to breed, and live under protection from many easy controls. Then, when they have a problem,, they either call me, (in the case of smaller animals,,) to trap & kill them, paying me to do so. Or if it's a big game animal,, (bear, deer turkey) they have to get the State or Feds involved.
Animals have a basic instinct of survival. They will live in an area where they are not threatened or molested. They will invade homes or property, finding a good food source, and an easy place to make a home for themselves, and do not care about humans. Because the very humans they should fear have turned into Disney trained monkeys. (My apologies to the monkeys.)

Pigs are no different. They can & will find a food source, and a place to live where they aren't bothered,, and they will reproduce.

johnp

Bearcat
I remember reading a gun rag about 50 years ago about going hog hunting with a handgun, kinda out of the ordinary back then. The author talked about always taking a long gun with you so when you pissed off the hog you would have something to stick in the ground and climb to get away from it. Of course he did a much better job of saying it.

Several years ago my wife's uncle would hunt pigs with a knife. He was a horseman and would always travel with another person also on horse back. The uncle would find a boar, jump of the horse onto the boar, and slice it's throat. The second guy was there to shoot the bore if things got out of hand. This was in Mississippi.

Good thing it was In Mississippi, our pigs here in Jersey carry Glocks but they never leave Trenton and wouldn't want to get their suits dirty, just their reputations.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Contender: In several places have become a problem, much like pythons in other areas.

The troubles of removing wild hogs: I've met/know both Terry Mansfield and Reggie Barret. Both are long-time biologists in California and experts on the wild pig problems!